Fresh Flowers Help

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 3 Oct 2012 , 12:42am by Alwayzmakincake

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there,

I have only really worked with gumpaste flowers but I'm doing a wedding cake with fresh roses and dendrobians. So the topper will have the roses and some dendrobians mixed in. What is the best thing to use to put the flowers in to place them on the cake? I'm a little nervous about this. Also, the cake will be four square tiers and I was going to put one rose with some dendrobians on the sides of the other tiers. Any advice on how to lay them on the sides too?

This is the cake. I hope it attaches. Mine will be squares though.

Thank you!
LL

7 replies
gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 8

I use the wilton water tubes.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 8

I have used Wilton flower picks to hold fresh flowers on a cake. Here's what they look like. you can even add a little water (as long as they are inserted in the cake up-right) to help the flowers stay fresh all evening/day.
http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/images/products/kni1008l408.jpg

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 8

I would just use a big blob of icing and put the flowers into that like glue.

Alwayzmakincake Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 8:28am
post #5 of 8

Thank you for the advice. thumbs_up.gif

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 8

Last time I did a fresh flower topper I bought a small piece of floral foam and a clear plastic desert style plate from the grocery store. Soak the foam and place on plate, create your fresh arrangment in foam. Place a piece of parchment on top tier, then set plate on top. This was perfect for traveling, kept flowers really fresh, and it was super simple to remove them when they were ready to cut the cake. I'm certain there are probably better things to use than a desert plate, but it worked for me.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, you can go to a craft store and get florist foam in a holder that you soak over night then insert cut stems and leaves to disguise the green holder. For the sides, see if you can find the mini floral picks with stopper tops so that the water won't leak out. Insert the flowers into the picks filled with water (stopper in place) then insert the pick into the side of the cake so you can't see anything by the flowers.

Alwayzmakincake Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:42am
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much. I'm SO nervous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%