Help!!

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 21 Aug 2012 , 10:12pm by kakeladi

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone! I have a little bit of a dilemma.. our husband and I just started looking at houses and we found one we fell in love with so we started the paper work on it. Anyways, the closing date for the house is Sept 19th if everything goes smoothly. Of course my daughter's 1st birthday party is Sept 22nd. I already have this 3 tiered veggie tales themed cake sketched out and I plan on making the bottom tier ahead of time since it will be a cake dummy but I was just wondering about baking her cakes ahead of time. Could I bake two vanilla tiers a couple weeks ahead of time and freeze them until a couple days before and then decorate them?

Also, if the cakes are frozen would I need to let them defrost before I stack and fill them or I can I fill and frost them frozen? Also, should I level the cakes before or after freezing? And one last question.. I plan on making a whipped chocolate ganache and whipped strawberry filling, how soon ahead of time can I make these fillings without them going bad and could I also freeze the fillings?

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 2

Cakes can be filled before being frozen IF the filling is one that can be frozen. Yes, you can bake now, fill and crumb coat and freeze now icon_smile.gif
If you have already baked & frozen the layers, let them defrost in the frig overnight (or similar time) before filling and icing them.
I don't know anything about those whipped fillings so can't advise on advance making of them icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%