Freeze Extra Cupcakes For Wedding Cake Tastings?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 17 Jun 2012 , 4:56pm by DeniseNH

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 3:05am
post #1 of 8

How do you handle supplying fresh cake for wedding cake tastings? I don't do many wedding cake consultations because wedding cakes account for a very small part of my business but every few months I get requests for consultations and tastings. Do you freeze left over cupcakes from an order and pull out and frost just in time for the tasting or do you bake a small batch, say 1 dozen, just for the tasting? Do you charge for this? Deduct from their wedding cake cost if they choose you? I would like to be able to offer this when the time arrives but I don't know if to leave assorted cupcake flavours in my freezer boxed for months. What advice and recommendations do you have?

7 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 3:12am
post #2 of 8

I found the best way is to do mini cupcakes. I freeze the batter and bake just what I need. I only offer tastings for weddings and for cakes over 200 servings. I supply the client with 3 or 4 mini cupcakes of 3 flavors packed in 2 oz cups, and 2 flavors of frosting. That way they can mix and match. I don't charge for tastings but a lot of people do.

Pearl645 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 3:17am
post #3 of 8

Interesting. I have never frozen batter. Always thought it would affect the quality and any raising agents. I do like your advice to make mini cupcakes with 3 cupcake flavours and two frostings. Thank you. Why is it important to many on CC including yourself to entertain wedding cake clients with over 200 servings? Most ppl in my home country don't specify no. of servings. They just come with a design for x no. of tiers. A 200 servings wedding cake is typically a 4 tier cake?

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 8

I freeze leftover batter , and sometimes if someone wants to try a particular flavour , I will bake a four inch cake out of the batch of batter and freeze the rest.

People have to give me at least a week's notice of coming to a tasting as most of my cakes need to mature for four or five days at least to taste their best. I mainly bake mudcakes though. I will offer fruitcake for a tasting if I happen to have one , I usually bake a few small ones to have on hand for this reason.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 8

When I have extra batter,,I just cook it and then make mini cutouts with small round cutter and place in cupcake wrappers. I will only freeze my cake up to a month the most and then just do it then, after thawing..

Pearl645 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for the good advice. These all seem to be the best approach to this.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl645

Interesting. I have never frozen batter. Always thought it would affect the quality and any raising agents. I do like your advice to make mini cupcakes with 3 cupcake flavours and two frostings. Thank you. Why is it important to many on CC including yourself to entertain wedding cake clients with over 200 servings? Most ppl in my home country don't specify no. of servings. They just come with a design for x no. of tiers. A 200 servings wedding cake is typically a 4 tier cake?

Many people in this country price their cakes by the serving. That way, the customer isn't paying for more cake than they need. And since I don't charge for tastings, the 200+ servings is simply a cut-off point that I use so someone ordering a birthday cake for 20 people isn't going to feel they should have a tasting.

Freezing batter is not a problem as long as it's covered properly in an air-tight container. I don't keep batter for more than a month at most and I've never had any problems with the taste.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 8

I do something different. After baking a wedding cake I cut rounds out of the bubble I cut off the top to level it. Then I place it into a 4-1/2 oz. clear plastic container with a clear lid - mark the flavor on the lid and freeze it. I hold about 50 taste tests a year and participate in 4 wedding shows per year so what I don't use for taste tests, goes on a pretty tiered stand at wedding shows. Each cup contains cake, filling and a pretty swirl of icing or drizzle of brandy. Then all they need is a plastic fork - and I keep a trash bag near my booth for disposal of cups and forks. I really love this because I've found that most shows are frequented by the bride and her family and girlfriends, but the bride wants her groom to taste the cake samples and will ask for a lid to a few cups to take home with her. Perfect. I no longer waste the cake bubble, cups are easy to handle and no sticky fingers and they're portable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%