Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream

Decorating By believer Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm by jones5cm

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 7

This sounds what I am looking for. Travel 6 hours with wedding cake to South Carolina. With no transfat in crisco - this recipe still crusts well? I am going to freeze the cake with buttercream on it - several layers of saran wrap and foil. Do you think the cake will be ok?

I normaly use Sugarshack recipe.

Thanks for your advice

6 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

Could be just me, but since a lot of shortening has gone trans-fat, my frostings that once crusted no longer do...including indidebi's.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 7

Either of those recipes would be fine. They're actually very similar.

I highly suggest getting Sweetex hi ratio shortening for either recipe to make it more heat proof.

Rae

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 7

Although I use my own shortening based recipe with "0" transfat, I have used Debi's since Crisco went "0" transfat and it crusted fine. The cake should be fine if wrapped/packaged as you stated.

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I found shortening with 3 transfat at Supersaver Dollar Grocery Store. I am in Virginia.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I found shortening with 3 transfat at Supersaver Dollar Grocery Store. I am in Virginia.

I have used the cheaper 'off' brand of shortening ever since 'Crisco' went zero trans-fat. i had the same difficulties with crusting before too! can't tell a difference in the taste either and I always use indydeb's BC recipe (she's my hero; btw...where has she been lately? I miss her commentariesicon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 7

Oh yeah, I was also going to say that hi-ratio shortening is pricey where I'm from because I have to order it on-line and the off brands work just as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%