Hour Glass Shaped Tier, Help Please!

Decorating By allynellasmom Updated 14 May 2012 , 9:54pm by kakeladi

allynellasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allynellasmom Posted 14 May 2012 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 8

Okay everyone I'm not even sure what this would be called so I'm gonna post a link asking how to do this if anyone can give information on tutorials or tips it would be greatly appreciated. The link is:
https://shebakescakes/galleries-2/weddings and the tier I am wondering how to do is the second tier from the top. Thanks!

7 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 May 2012 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 8

The link did not work.

allynellasmom Posted 14 May 2012 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 8

if you go to www.shebakescakes.com and go to her gallery tab and click on weddings it will be the first cake that pops up in the gallery it's a pink/white/gold wedding cake I need to know how to make the second tier from the top? Thanks again everyone for looking!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 May 2012 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 8

I believe that tier is made from several layers of cake all the same size, filled and stacked, then the sides carved out to make the shape desired.

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 14 May 2012 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 8

It's my understanding that you would just carve the cake into that shape. Then apply the fondant, etc.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 May 2012 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 8

You can use my tapering instructions, except instead of a 2-inch difference from top to bottom, make it one inch. You'd taper two cakes (2 layers each), then put them together narrow end to narrow end.

Start with two same-size cake layers, say, 10-inch round.

Place a 10-inch round cake circle on one end, and an 8-inch circle on the other end. Make sure the larger, same-size board is not larger than the cake. It can be tad smaller.

Working inside a large pan or baking sheet to confine the mess, elevate the cake a few inches on something narrower than the cake, like a 6 or 7 inch cake pan.

The 8-inch board side should be up. Put non-skid mat between the cake and it's elevator so it doesn't slip off.

Now, take a long, serrated knife and, using the cake boards as guides, carve away the sides of the cake. Flip the cake over, place on it's permanent board and away you go!

If you plan to fill the layers with something other than buttercream, place a couple of small cardboard cake circles between your layers before carving.

After carving, take the two layers apart, remove the cake circles, pipe your dam, add filling and replace the layers. Trim, if necessary.

If you're going to fill with buttercream, you can do that before carving.

allynellasmom Posted 14 May 2012 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 8

thanks so much for the replies I look forward to trying this as I am doing a cake show soon an would like to try something different. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2012 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 8

I made this one:
Info on sizes used in this post http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1294506/hourglass-with-strips

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%