Hr Shortening

Decorating By 2xMiMi Updated 20 Mar 2012 , 11:30pm by Gerle

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 11:41am
post #1 of 10

I have always used Crisco which is what I learned in the class I took at Michael's. I recently purchased some HR shortening and used last night. I used 1 cup per recipe just like when I use Crisco but it seem to be a lot harder to work with. I had a really hard time getting it smooth and have gotten pretty good at it. Is there something that I should have done different? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 10

I substitute it equally for Crisco in my recipes, but I've heard some people use less. Maybe that would help.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 10

I've used this and found that there was definitely a different texture to my buttercream. I've been meaning to ask those in the know if it's true that you need to use less of high ratio versus regular Crisco, so maybe this post is a good time to do so. I found that I had to add extra liquid to get my buttercream to the consistency I wanted. Wasn't sure why at first, but then remembered I was using high ratio, so assumed that was what made the difference. I liked it better, but it is more costly. I can obtain it from a local cake supply store here in town.

So hopefully there is someone who uses high ratio frequently who can help us out? Thanks!

2xMiMi Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 10

I sure hope so - I have always read about how much everyone loves it but it was very frustrating.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 10

I use hi ratio shortening instead of crisco. I took some getting used to but I love it. It doesn't have that greasy in the mouth feeling or taste. It holds up in great especially in the hot humid south even outside weddings when it's 105 in the shade.

Use the same amount of hi ratio. Hi ratio shortening is firmer than crisco so you may need a little more liquid or flavoring. One thing I do know is it doesn't work well if the shortening is cold. Keep it at room temp or allow it to come to room temp if it is stored in the fridge or freezer.

I got some from my supplier once that had some issues and I could not get it smooth. It must have been a problem at the factory, others had returned theirs. That was the only batch I've ever had a problem with.

I use Wesson Super Quik Blend in 50lb boxes that I purchase from a restaurant supplier. I prefer this brand to Sweetix and it is about half the price. There are also other brands you can probably find locally or online.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:45am
post #6 of 10

I love Hi ratio shortening. You will need to add a little more liquid to your recipe. It makes a nice sturdy frosting that does not leave a grease slick in your mouth. I didn't care for the recipes in my Wilton class twelve years ago so I started using a recipe given to me by a cake decorator in Maryland and I have been using it ever since. It's a crusting butter cream so you can smooth your frosting using the paper towel method. In CA we can't get Hi ratio anymore we have what they call icing shortening. It works great but I miss my Hi ratio it whips up nice and fluffy and colors mix well. http://allrecipes.com/PersonalRecipe/63148627/Sweettreats-Crusting-Decorator-Butter-Cream/Detail.aspx

Gerle Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 10

I get hi ratio shortening from a cake supply store here in town. They say it doesn't have the trans-fat any more, but it's still high ratio. I used it, like it, but did find I had to add more liquid to it. It is kind of expensive, but I do plan on getting some more. I was just concerned because I kept hearing that you had to reduce the amount that you used when substituting for Crisco, but am glad to hear that it isn't necessary.

2xMiMi Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks - I will be sure and add more liquid next time and hopefully it will be easier for me to work with. icon_biggrin.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 10

Also different brands behave differently. We have two cake supplies in my area. They carry different brands and it made a huge difference in the frosting. One brand made the frosting sticky. It stuck the beaters, the spatula everything, it was nuts. The other brand I like and use regularly. It's the Wesson hi ratio. I really want to try Sweetex but the local supplier only sells it 50lbs at a timeicon_sad.gif

I use SugarShacks recipe and my hi ratio needs a lot less liquid than hers does just because of the brand difference.

Gerle Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 10

I just went to my cake supply store today to pick up a few things, such as high ratio shortening, and found out that they DO carry high ratio with trans fat. I asked them how they could because of the CA law, and they indicated that they had talked to the Health Department, explained what they do, and the Health Department said they could sell it. I don't remember all the details he told me about how or what they did or had to do, but he said they weren't going to jeopardize their company and their financial livelihood by doing something wrong, and they did get the approval. They actually sell both -- HR with trans fat and HR without. And I think it's a LOW trans fat rating. Any way, I'm excited about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%