How Do I Attach Rkt To A Plastic Tube? Its Not Sticking!

Decorating By milkwithonesugar Updated 3 Mar 2012 , 9:50pm by milkwithonesugar

milkwithonesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkwithonesugar Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 6

Its my daughter's 5th birthday in 11 days, I'm making her a Rapunzel cake topped with a tower (made out of Rice Krispie Treat). I just did a trial run for my first attempt at moulding Rice Krispie Treat around an internal support - in this case a smooth plastic rod on a base (its actually the stand from my daughter's Jessie doll!), but its just sliding down - how do I made it stick? Obviously the plastic is too smooth and it needs something rougher to stick to, so I was thinking maybe covering the rod in chocolate, letting it dry then roughing it up a bit with a grater or something - would that work? Or any other ideas?

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 6

Paint/dip the rod in melted chocolate, then wrap in rkt...once the chocolate sets it'll cling like nobody's business!

milkwithonesugar Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply, I hope I do it right - I expect I'll be posting a picture of the finished article in a couple of weeks!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 12:38am
post #4 of 6

When I made my Tangled cake, I used a PVC pipe for the tower. I covered it with piping gel and then fondant.

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6

I haven't read everyone's posts on this, so don't know if this was mentioned. I had the same problem when I did my Rapunzel tower cake. RKT kept falling/sliding off the pole. Finally, in a last ditch effort to make it work, I melted some more marshmallows and "painted" the pole with the melted marshmallow. I figured MM is so darn sticky it would have to work. lol Worked like a charm!! I had the MM on hand already. The only other tip I have is to get the marshmallow off the pole as soon as possible. It can be a bear to remove!! lol

milkwithonesugar Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips! I've painted in chocolate for now, but I'll bear the MM tip in mind when the time comes to mould it!

My, you guys have set the bar high for the Rapunzel Tower, I'll never manage it as well as you - but I'll give it a bash anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%