Wedding Cake

Decorating By smallnmighty Updated 1 Mar 2012 , 12:55am by Cakery2012

smallnmighty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smallnmighty Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake up. The bride loves Italian meringue buttercream. I am comfortable with making it, and am getting the smoothing down, a little more practice and I should have it. My concern is it is not white. even with adding a little violet to the batter, it is not as white as american buttercream.

1. If you use IMBC for wedding cakes how do you get it really white?
2. If you dont use IMBC what do you use?

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 5

I use a regular buttercream 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter...they make icing whiteners that you can add to brighten up the white of your icing.

However, unless you have something that is 'true white' next to the icing...most won't notice that it isn't pure white anyhow!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

Besides the dot of violet and adding some whitener, I have also been known to replace one of the sticks of unsalted butter with high ratio shortening AND to shop for my butter at the end of February when butter is at its lightest - don't laugh, I actually contacted Land O Lakes and they said that cows eating oats and hay in the barn all winter produce the lightest colored unsalted butter. So I buy it in bulk and freeze it. Don't believe me, test it out for yourself.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

Ive never thought to freeze butter . Thanks for the tip.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:55am
post #5 of 5

Ive never thought to freeze butter . Thanks for the tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%