I Don't Understand Dragees...

Decorating By KLynnCakesAZ Updated 1 Apr 2012 , 12:43pm by Barb00

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 1:53am
post #31 of 43

I have a container of India Tree dragees right now that are not at all hard on the teeth. The only thing about them that bothers me is that when I needed them the more reasonably priced online supplier was sold out and I had to pay $11.95 at Harris Teeter for them. Now that hurt.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 2:53am
post #32 of 43

I created an ad for Chef Rubber that used dragees for "jewelry" on a model. I also created the ad layout - and there is a big giant line of ad copy: "YES. We ship to California."

So, despite politics and this and that - a dragees is basically a mini jawbreaker and it is easily available in CA.

In fact, I can go to my local bakery supply stores in Norco, CA and buy them.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 2:57am
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels

I think it's funny when people get all up in arms about a little bit of silver being consumed around christmas time, and yet ground cinnamon can have up to 79 insect fragments per 10 grams and still be considered safe to eat. And that's just insect fragments, then there's acceptable levels of maggots, rodent hairs, mold, feces. Yes, feces.

Dragees sound yummy now.

aww, that's just extra protein!

I think it 's funny that it's an issue yet people are happy to put fresh flowers that are covered with pesticides and fertilizers all over their cakes. I don't like to use dragees because of the teeth breaking thing. The concept of silver toxicity really isn't top of my list.

Totally agree. It's kinda funny how careful some people are with certain things (food, plastics, etc.) when there's so much more going on too. Although if I were made aware of EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth, products that I clean with, etc, I would probably implode on myself. Just crawl into a dark cave and never come out.

Knowledge is power, to a point. But I think past a certain point ignorance is bliss.

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 7:44am
post #34 of 43

Never a dull moment on CC.com. Happy sigh!

RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 1:16pm
post #35 of 43

Has anybody ever had any experience with somebody actually breaking a tooth because of a dragee? My friend ordered cupcakes and wants silver dragees on them. I'm not worried about the toxicity, I'm worried about the teeth breaking factor.

Anybody you know personally (or a client or their guests) ever break a tooth from munching on dragees? Thanks in advance for any response icon_biggrin.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 1:32pm
post #36 of 43

They are not all that hard, very easy to eat - or at least the brand I have - India Tree, French Dragees #4. HTH.

RebeccaBloomwood Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 1:49pm
post #37 of 43

@Fullhouse: Thanks for the response icon_smile.gif I was just really curious if anyone has actually ever broken a tooth, because personally, I don't know anyone who has

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 2:05pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaBloomwood

Has anybody ever had any experience with somebody actually breaking a tooth because of a dragee? My friend ordered cupcakes and wants silver dragees on them. I'm not worried about the toxicity, I'm worried about the teeth breaking factor.

Anybody you know personally (or a client or their guests) ever break a tooth from munching on dragees? Thanks in advance for any response icon_biggrin.gif

Only my father in law when he was 85, but he had 85-yr-old teeth then. I think it's more a problem for the really big dragees and the really old people with really brittle teeth that break constantly anyway. My MIL broke a tooth on an almond once. If the tooth is ready to break then it doesn't take much, so it's probably more a chance thing than anything else, but it can happen.

RebeccaBloomwood Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 2:13pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:

Only my father in law when he was 85, but he had 85-yr-old teeth then. I think it's more a problem for the really big dragees and the really old people with really brittle teeth that break constantly anyway. My MIL broke a tooth on an almond once. If the tooth is ready to break then it doesn't take much, so it's probably more a chance thing than anything else, but it can happen.

Thanks for the response icon_smile.gif Yes, it can definitely happen. I just hope there won't be too many elderly guests with brittle teeth. I wonder if dentures can break because of dragees....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 4:27pm
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaBloomwood

Quote:

Thanks for the response icon_smile.gif Yes, it can definitely happen. I just hope there won't be too many elderly guests with brittle teeth. I wonder if dentures can break because of dragees....

They're probably more likely to get stuck in between the denture and their gums. Either way, someone's going to complain!

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 1:38am
post #41 of 43

The silver on the dragees is perfectly fine to eat. There have been people who have consumed enough silver to turn their skin grey!!! Don't do that, of course, but he didn't die or anything. It used to be some kind of medical elixir. I know that isn't saying much, lol.

Same with the vodkas with the gold flakes floating in it. It's not like people buy it for looking at... they DRINK it too icon_biggrin.gif

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 4:38am
post #42 of 43

I remember as a kid using these on our Christmas cookies. We loved them and ate them. Then again that was the 70's and anything wenticon_smile.gif

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 12:43pm
post #43 of 43

All I can say is: "It's California"!. My son moved there two years ago for employment after college and it was amazing to find warning labels where you might not expect or for reasons I certainly never thought of. Seems like warnings were posted so much I felt like everything was out to kill me or at least put me on a path to a slow death! Sorry, I am from the midwest and to me it was a bit extreme. Just my opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%