Freezing Cake Batter...

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 29 Nov 2015 , 5:03pm by Pastrybaglady

sandyvrc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandyvrc Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 7:42pm
post #31 of 68

my oven broke down on me last second! the batter was ready, and so i put it in the fridge as first reaction and then go see my oven, now the batter sat there 3 days and i dont want to throw it away but will it be okay to bake after being days refrigerated not frozen?

BarbaraM0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraM0809 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 3:45am
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaBloomwood

omg I had no idea you could freeze batter!! i've wasted so much batter for years! Now I am going to make fresh batter, just so I could try freezing it and baking it. wow, I still can't get over this.

I am 1 MILLION PERCENT happy that I joined CC. I really learn something new everyday. Best site ever! thumbs_up.gif

I might have a problem though, sometimes, I sit down and just plan on browsing thru CC for like 15 minutes, but end up spending hours instead and I would never even notice the time flying by. This site is way too addicting! icon_biggrin.gif

LOL I have the same problem....I'll get on to "Look something up real quick" and 4 hours later I realize that I'm still on! icon_lol.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:22am
post #33 of 68

To Anniesmurf:
I always freeze my cakes. And I fill and crumb coat them while frozen. Frozen cakes are easier to level and torte too. After crumb coating I put it back in the fridge (not freezer) to harden the crumb coat and then frost.

I keep my cakes in the refrigerator until delivery which I do at least an hour before an event. They are easier to transport when cold and they slowly come to room temp which is great because they're usually out several hours before they're cut. There are no condensation issues either.

I don't cover with fondant...just buttercream that has only real butter in it.

Wrap your cooled freshly baked cake in several layers of cling wrap and then freeze. Recently I took out a small cake that had been made from leftover batter and frozen several months ago and went ahead and frosted and served it to my family and it tasted as fresh as the day I made it. I don't recommend keeping them in the freezer that long...I usually just freeze a few days before due...but it was nice to know how well it held up.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 7:16am
post #34 of 68

would this batter be able to be frozen? its the only batter I make

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/wacky-cake-2

anniessmurf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anniessmurf Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:09pm
post #35 of 68

Thank you so very much jgifford icon_biggrin.gif I don't have to panic so much now!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 4:35pm
post #36 of 68

So so far I've frozen and baked red velvet, coconut, and chocolate. They all came out great!!!! Thanks for all the information.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 9:19am
post #37 of 68

I only bake from scratch and I always freeze left over mix, I have also mixed it in with fresh mix when I needed a bit more for a particular tin . I did that today and the cake that was fresh baked no differently from the one that had fresh and frozen mixed together.

Most of my recipes contain buttermilk so there are no problems freezing that.

RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 10:01am
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyvrc

my oven broke down on me last second! the batter was ready, and so i put it in the fridge as first reaction and then go see my oven, now the batter sat there 3 days and i dont want to throw it away but will it be okay to bake after being days refrigerated not frozen?

I would also love to know the answer to this question

RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 10:08am
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraM0809

LOL I have the same problem....I'll get on to "Look something up real quick" and 4 hours later I realize that I'm still on! icon_lol.gif

I know right?? Somebody help me!! Lol! icon_biggrin.gif

I tried freezing batter, just to know if it does work, (I didn't even have any reason to bake cupcakes heh), and it did! Thanks so much for this info! Imma freeze all my batters from now on to save me space, time, and most of all, stress! icon_biggrin.gif

rutha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rutha Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 11:45am
post #40 of 68

I am so happy I came along this post. I have always wondered if I can refrigerate or free my scratch cake batter. Sometimes I am making a cake for the weekend but because I work as well it is ideal if I can make my cake batter and buttercream, refrigerate or freeze and use when needed.

Fantastic post and advice, can't wait to try it out.

I am based in UK and I am so happy I joined CC.

Ruth icon_biggrin.gif

Mommacoz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommacoz Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 12:33pm
post #41 of 68

I am so glad I joined this site. Great info. I have to make some cupcakes for next Saturday but have a busy week coming up, however tonight I have plenty of time so I will be mixing up my batters and putting them in the freezer!

Raagam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raagam Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 3:47pm
post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraM0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaBloomwood

omg I had no idea you could freeze batter!! i've wasted so much batter for years! Now I am going to make fresh batter, just so I could try freezing it and baking it. wow, I still can't get over this.

I am 1 MILLION PERCENT happy that I joined CC. I really learn something new everyday. Best site ever! thumbs_up.gif

I might have a problem though, sometimes, I sit down and just plan on browsing thru CC for like 15 minutes, but end up spending hours instead and I would never even notice the time flying by. This site is way too addicting! icon_biggrin.gif

I just recently joined this site and can say that I am definitely an addict. I've just spent all morning browsing the forums! But wow this is an amazing thread! I never knew you could freeze batter... I've frozen cakes and cupcakes before, but batter.... mind=blown! Thanks everyone for all the help and amazing insight!

Zuhlay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuhlay Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 7:29pm
post #43 of 68

OMG I never knew I could freeze batter. I'd saved myself so much time and stress. I work full time have 2 small children and do some baking on the side. Sometimes it can get very overwhelming when your just pressed for time or just plain old tired but dont want to turn down orders due to the extra $$. I will definitely try this really soon.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:43am
post #44 of 68

AFreeze cake batter! Wow every day I log in CC I learn something ;-D

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:11am
post #45 of 68

This thread has just CHANGED everything for me!! I waste so much cake/cake batter!! THANK YOU OP and everyone else for useful advice and pointers...I am SO going to try this and I have all faith that this will work!!! Now I can make the batter way in advance when I have time and while everything is out and then just freeze it! YAY I'm sooo happy!!

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 6:57am
post #46 of 68

ASo does this mean that you could scoop cupcake batter into liners, freeze them in the pan, and then take em outta the pan and wrap em and just pull out a cupcake or two?

mclar133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclar133 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:34am
post #47 of 68

AKaylawaylalayla, I think that is an excellent idea and I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I am going to try that!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:32pm
post #48 of 68

Has anyone successfully frozen From Scratch SF's Better White Cake?  Would love to know . . .

Liz

annebaligod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annebaligod Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 11:29am
post #49 of 68

hello guys,

i have been freezing my batter in a ziplock and its just too messy. i was thinking of switching to air tight containers (covering the batter with plastic wrap first before covering). do you guys do this too? what do you guys use? do yo have any tips for me?

thanks!

anne

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 3:06am
post #50 of 68

Hi!

That's how I store my frozen batter. In the plastic storage containers and use an ice cream scoop to take it out and place in pan. Some of these containers has on the sides the amount of cups it holds and I use it to put the batter in it according to the size cakes I plan on baking.

Cheers!

Jeanette

annebaligod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annebaligod Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 10:41pm
post #51 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakingJeannie 

Hi!

That's how I store my frozen batter. In the plastic storage containers and use an ice cream scoop to take it out and place in pan. Some of these containers has on the sides the amount of cups it holds and I use it to put the batter in it according to the size cakes I plan on baking.

Cheers!

Jeanette

Thanks! :)

Pam1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1727 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 2:25am
post #52 of 68

thanks for the information.  I did not know that batter could be frozen.  It will save me a lot of time - what a time savior - rather than waiting until the day or night before due.

futurefreeze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
futurefreeze Posted 9 Dec 2014 , 11:03pm
post #53 of 68

have you ever thought about freezing the batter in a liner(fill muffin tin with liners), put in the freeze, when frozen transfer to ziplock bag, then you can truly have a cupcake whenever you want with no hard scooping

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 3:51am
post #54 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam1727 

thanks for the information.  I did not know that batter could be frozen.  It will save me a lot of time - what a time savior - rather than waiting until the day or night before due.

frozen tv dinners have frozen chocolate cake batter in lots of their microwave meals, so it's possible.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 9:33am
post #55 of 68

I've been freezing batter ever since I learned about it on CC.  It works really well with oil batters: chocolate cake and red velvet did really well.  I have not been successful with vanilla cake batter made with butter -  It just looked melted and sagging in the middle when I tried to make cupcakes.  Someone has to tell me the secret to those.

makeherabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeherabaker Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 1:50pm
post #56 of 68

Is anybody yet to try freezing a scratch batter?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 2:47pm
post #57 of 68

AYes. I only bake from scratch and I freeze the batter all the time. No problems.

makeherabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeherabaker Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 4:24pm
post #58 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

Yes. I only bake from scratch and I freeze the batter all the time. No problems.

Thanks I will be freezing a cupcake batter in liners that include sour cream hopefully it still works well

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 4:27pm
post #59 of 68

AI only bake scratch. Leah, do you do anything different freezing/thawing butter cakes?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 5:53am
post #60 of 68

ANot sure exactly whet you keen by butter cakes, but I freeze EVERYTHING. Batters, buttercream, fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%