Assembly Question

Decorating By ashleyj Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 1:31am by ashleyj

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 2:11am
post #1 of 3

I've been asked to make a cooking themed cake for a 12-yr old birthday. I'm thinking about doing a 2-tiered cake with an apron draping down the front and on the top I'd like to have miniature cooking utensils sticking out. Like some wooden spoons, a small whisk, etc. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I need to insert in the cake to hold the utensils? I'm afraid if I put a glass round, etc. it may be too heavy and cause the surrounding cake to bulge. And it needs to be fairly long so the utensils are not standing up too high. Could I use PVC pipe? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:03am
post #2 of 3

From the wording of your ? I take it you are thinking of putting the cooking tools in a 'vase' or similar.
With proper support you can use anything w/o causing the cake to bulge. If it's a glass, insert a 'triangle' of 3 straws under the glass.
Why not make a fondant (or gumpaste) bowl instead? The weight might be a bit less and you would need to support it the same as a glass.

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:31am
post #3 of 3

Yes, I was thinking of a glass dish or comparable but I love the idea of a gumpaste bowl. That is a great idea and it won't be as heavy. Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%