3-Tier Mini Cakes

Decorating By fcakes Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 6:09am by KoryAK

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 25

Hi Everyone!

I just saw these cute 3-tier mini cakes online and was wondering if anyone here makes them and what do you charge? Also, any idea where I could get the packaging like what is shown? Thanks so much!!!

They are made in a pan like the one below so what would be the best way to cover them in fondant?

24 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 25

I would charge $35 each. As far as the fondant goes, slap it on there after a crumb coat or brush with strained preserves and start smoothing. At least the bottom doesn't need to be smoothed.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 25

Cute cakes but a tremendous amount of work thus the cost..I wouldn't do them for under $25.00..The packaging is clear plastic wedding cupcake boxes sold at most wedding supply/favor stores.It also isn't cheap so make sre you factor that cost in as well.

fcakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 25

Wow! $25-$35!! I was thinking more like $8 - $10! Is it worth buying the pan or can I just cut the rounds myself and save money on the pan?

And how will poured ganache or poured fondant work on this? Anyone tried this? TIA!

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 25

There is no way will you make any profit charging $8.00-$10.00 for those..The fondant is expensive and the amount of time to cover one mini..I could decorate a large cake in that time..The clear boxes are expensive as well.It may be less to cut the rounds with a cutter but it's the time involved...not the cost of the pan..

fcakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 25

Thanks so much for the guidance! How about covering them with poured ganache or poured fondant? Would that be easier than using rolled fondant or buttercream?

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 25

Well you could but poured fondant/ganache icings are very tricky and can become a mess and nightmare if you have never done it before...Maybe practice a bit before.They key is to have an even flow and coat all over so it looks covered and proportional.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 25

If you want them to look like the picture, you need to do it the way those were done. In fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 25

Actually, rolled fondant will look WAY BETTER and in the long run be easier.

There's a reason shops charge so much for these. Take the order and you'll quickly discover why. You will never meet a bigger PITA.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 25

IMO it would almost be as easy to cut these apart and cover each tier individually. You wouldn't have to have any support when you put them back together because you won't have any weight to speak of. I agree on at least $25 - $35 each. It would have to be a VERY special order to make more than a few.

fcakes Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 12:06am
post #11 of 25

Thank you so much everyone! Appreciate the tips and advice!

fcakes Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 2:36am
post #12 of 25

I tried searching for those boxes but can't find them online... went to the local Michaels but they didn't have any either. Anyone know where to find them? Thanks!

squiglychops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squiglychops Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 11:46am
post #13 of 25

those are sooo cute!

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 12:10pm
post #14 of 25

That pan is on my wishlist icon_smile.gif

fcakes Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 2:06pm
post #15 of 25

Anyone know about the boxes? I have to make these cakes for a potential client and would love to package them like that. icon_smile.gif Thanks!

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 3:41pm
post #16 of 25

Here is a few companies that sells them here in Canada...I know there are several in the US you just have to find the online sites..Usually wedding favors/supply sites.

www.cupcakeboxes..ca

http://www.thankyou.on.ca/home/product/142/853/12258

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 25

I have seen these cakes done by baking a sheet cake and then cutting circles out with round cutters. Then each little piece is covered in fondant before they are stacked. I've never done them, so I don't know which way is easier. Just an idea.

fcakes Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 25

thanks! I'll try the separate wrap and stack idea too see how it works.

Kiddiekakes, thanks for the links.. I can't find anything locally though.

fcakes Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 6:56pm
post #19 of 25

Found the boxes!! Thought I would post here so if someone else needs them, they can order online here: http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=16493&SubGroupID=16494#16494

I think the 5x5x5 size will work best!

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 10:29pm
post #20 of 25

Another way to do these is a sheet cake and use cut outs. Or use cookies.On Pinterest.com today they have the cookies and only the tops of each are decorated . They look cute but not as fancy as above .

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 2:41am
post #21 of 25

i just looked on eFavorMart and saw some clear plastic boxes. Page 6 & 7 of their on line catalog.

designdiva22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designdiva22 Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 10:12pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks Denise! I couldn't see the boxes on the website... can you please post the link here or please PM me?? Thanks!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 11:10pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Actually, rolled fondant will look WAY BETTER and in the long run be easier.

There's a reason shops charge so much for these. Take the order and you'll quickly discover why. You will never meet a bigger PITA.

Lea_S. can you please tell me what rolled fondant is? not regular fondant, right?

fcakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 1:02am
post #24 of 25

thanks cakery and denise! Would it be possible to pose the Pinterest and the efavormart link here? I couldn't find it.

bakencake, rolled fondant is regular fondant that you can roll and cover these.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 6:09am
post #25 of 25

rolled fondant is probably what you think of as "regular" fondant. It's what brands like Satin Ice, Wilton, FondX, etc... are. There is also poured fondant and a fondant that's a candy filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%