Help I Have A Design But Need Cake Flavors...

Decorating By carolinagirlcakes Updated 21 Dec 2011 , 12:56am by carolinagirlcakes

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 8

I am entering my first cake "contest". It is something my hubby's work is doing and it will include all sweets. It is nothing major just for fun so no stress. BUT I want to make something great that look awesome.

I have my Christmas themed design all worked out but I am having issues with coming up with a cake flavor combo. I am using a 10" square cake and would like to alternate colors of cakes, red and green. I plan to torte each cake to get a more layered effect. For the red cake I want to do red velvet but having issues knowing what other cake flavor to combine with it and what filling will work great for both. Any suggestions?

Also I plan to bake 3 = 10" square cakes, torte and fill to hopefully get roughly a 9" tall cake. Do you think I need to put an extra cake board in there somewhere? I plan to use support to help the height but unsure on an extra board and if so where?

Thanks in advance for any help!

7 replies
Jryanhristov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jryanhristov Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 8

You can't go wrong with red velvet and cream cheese frosting , I'm a fan of Paula deans cream cheese frosting but I would omit one cup of confectioners sugar as it calls for four, but I think it's to sweet that way .but by doing so the frosting ends up tasting like a cheese cake ! It's amazing . You could also try strawberry butter cream with red velvet or with a deep dark cocolate cake flavor .

carolinagirlcakes Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 12:15am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryanhristov

You can't go wrong with red velvet and cream cheese frosting , I'm a fan of Paula deans cream cheese frosting but I would omit one cup of confectioners sugar as it calls for four, but I think it's to sweet that way .but by doing so the frosting ends up tasting like a cheese cake ! It's amazing . You could also try strawberry butter cream with red velvet or with a deep dark cocolate cake flavor .

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to do cream cheese (as much as I love it) because the cake will be sitting out and I am not sure for how long. So since it is not shelf stable I want to use something different. Plus I am really looking for another cake flavor that I can make green.

bonnie2463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnie2463 Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 2:15am
post #4 of 8

Maybe try a green pistachio pudding cake. Nice nutty flavor and the green color. I think it would go well with the red velvet. Good luck.

stevinix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stevinix Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 2:33am
post #5 of 8

I would just use a white chocolate buttercream (goes just as good with red velvet as cream cheese does) and alternate your red velvet cake layers with a sweet vanilla bean cake colored green. icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 8

You can make a green velvet...Now a days what makes a red velvet red is food coloring, I've seen blue and green velvets...so you wouldn't have to change the cake flavor. I like classic buttercream flavors with red velvet. The cake doesn't have a dominant flavor and it can easily be over powered by a strong frosting flavor.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:19am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone... I made the red velvet from scratch and then white velvet doctored cake and dyed it green. So far it looks great together. I plan to use the white chocolate buttercream as someone suggested. I found a recipe on here but have never made it so hoping I get the flavor and consistency I want from it.

I will post pics when it is finished.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 12:56am
post #8 of 8

Just wanted to share my finished cake with you all that helped... thanks again!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2231828

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%