Thoughts Please!

Decorating By fabray13 Updated 11 Dec 2011 , 3:07pm by kakeladi

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 5

I will be traveling with a 4 tier wedding cake next weekend (16,12,10,8 inches). It will be a 3 hour car ride. I am using SPS. Do you think its safe to travel that far with the cake already stacked? Any helpful tips appreciated!!!!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 5

As Indydebi always says, "If a cake will travel 5 miles it will travel 50 miles." There's nothing about the number of miles traveled that will affect the cake. If it's secure, it's secure. Yes, SPS is the way to go.

I would always put the top tier on after I arrived at the venue.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

As Indydebi always says, "If a cake will travel 5 miles it will travel 50 miles." There's nothing about the number of miles traveled that will affect the cake. If it's secure, it's secure. Yes, SPS is the way to go.

I'd dispute this, especially if you're driving on a bumpy road!

Personally, I'd take the bottom two tiers stacked and assemble the top two on site regardless of how far you're travelling or what kind of support system you're using. It will take the worry out of it for you, and I've heard of people having cakes slide and fall even with the SPS. Things happen...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

I personally wouldn't travel with a 4 tiered cake.I would stack the bottom two as well and add the top 2 when you get there.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 5

I agree w/costum and kiddiekakes. There is way too much that you can run into on such a long trip. It only takes a few minutes to put a cake together and that's far, far bettere than having to re-make a whole 4 tier cake on site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%