Over Baked Cake.

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 12:59am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
Well got a phone call, heard the buzzer go off but as usual.... well you can guess.
It's a red velvet cake. It is salvageable but could use some ideas on what to do with it. I don't want to make cake pops.
It is a 8 in square. I want to use it for Christmas.
Can I freeze it then cut it into squares like a Christmas package? Do I dip them in melted chocolate, or ganache to be able to work with the crumb edges?

Any ideas for anything is welcome. I'm drawing a blank.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 7

I would make a sugar slurry (sugar and water) to drizzle over it then wrap tightly and freeze. The freezing process actually adds moistness to a cake - don't know how but it does. But don't freeze for long (months). Just a few weeks is fine for this purpose.

funtodecorate2 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 7

Hi,

Are you talking granular or powdered sugar ? sorry prob stupid question. I would think powdered ?

Since this is for an 50th Ann I wouldn't feel right using it as a layer. So that's why I thought I'd try and figure something out for our fam Christmas lol
they won't mind
icon_biggrin.gif

DeniseNH Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:13am
post #4 of 7

Nope, granular and water. Put two tablespoons full of granular sugar into a coffee cup then put a quarter cup of hot water in as well. Stir, until granuals dissolve, then spoon it over the cake and wrap in saran.

funtodecorate2 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:27am
post #5 of 7

If I wanted to cut them and make like Christmas presents out of them should I freeze it then cut it into pieces?
Dip in Choc then use fondant and decorate?
Thanks for the help

DeniseNH Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:47am
post #6 of 7

Yes and no icon_smile.gif Freeze, then cut into squares = yes. Then either drizzle chocolate over defrosted squares (because if you drizzle over frozen squares your chocolate will seize up immediately and will blob. Or lightly ice each square and then drape fondant over them. And you can ice and fondant a frozen square.

funtodecorate2 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:59am
post #7 of 7

ok, thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%