Need Help

Decorating By mwatson77 Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 12:40am by mwatson77

mwatson77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mwatson77 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 8

I have a customer who has ordered a two tier cake but wants the top tier to taper down to the bottom tier so that it will be fatter on the top. What is the best way to do this so that I get an even top tier. This will be my first one to do like this so I am very curious. Thanks for any pointers

7 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 8

There's two ways you can take your message. She wants an hourglass figured cake, a vase shaped cake or she wants a topsy turvey cake? I don't understand. Either way it sounds like she is asking for a carved cake and you'll need to get handy with a carving knife........quickly icon_smile.gif I don't understand why you're concerned about the top staying flat or even, if you start out with an even cake, you'll end up with one. See how confusing this is?

mwatson77 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not sure which one it would be. I am new to this but she is wanting the top tier to taper down and get smaller towards the bottom where it sits on the bottom tier. Her picture looks like a topsy turvy type but it just sits directly on the bottom tier (it does not look like it is going to fall over). I hope I have explained a little better

DeniseNH Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 8

Is it possible to post the photo so that we can help you out a lot better? Are the top and bottom tiers both round or are they square. How much does it taper - just a little or drastically so that you'd need armature or support coming from an attachment to the cake board. And finally, if this is out of your area of comfort, can you talk her into another design?

mwatson77 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:09am
post #5 of 8

Here is a pic of the cake that my customer is wanting.

DeniseNH Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:15am
post #6 of 8

Didn't come through.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:33am
post #7 of 8

I think I understand what you're describing. Are the tiers going to be two or three layers of cake? Either way, I'll just explain with some made up numbers.

Start with an 8 inch round and a 6 inch round. If you're using three layers, just use like an 8, 7, and 6. Start building the tiers with the large layer on the bottom, working your way up. Once they're filled, take your knife and just start shaving the edges so they're smooth. Go ahead and ice just the sides of the cake and then take your cake board and put it on the top of the tier. That top is going to be the bottom of the cake. Holding the top with one hand and the bottom with the other, quickly flip the cake over, take off the board that was under the larger layer and ice the top. Repeat for the next tier, put in supports and stack. Nerve racking the first time you do it, but it gets easier.

mwatson77 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:40am
post #8 of 8

The pic will not attach for some reason but the both tiers are round. There is not a drastic tapering down

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%