Frustrated Beginner!

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 29 Nov 2011 , 11:07pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 9

So I am a beginner at making cakes. I think I am learning more about things going wrong that right! icon_cry.gif I have made MMF before and it turned out great. Anyway I tried a new recipe that called for 1/2 cup crisco in the mix. I thought this sounded odd, but I tried it, and I hated it!!! I had my cake cooled shaped and dirty iced, ready for a nice topping of fondant. HA not! The fondant was soooo pliable I could not roll it without it breaking and stretching way to much. It was like loose putty! Since I didn't have any more marshmallows (and these cakes are just for us for my practice) I decided to try the ganache again. The first few times it was too runny, to much cream I guess. Then tonight it was PERFECT! But the bad thing is it taste so nasty with buttercream icing icon_sad.gif So another 15 to 20 bucks down the drain! If only it didn't have the buttercream it would have been good, but I wanted to practice the MMF. So like I said I am learning more don'ts than do's...

Frustrated but definately not giving up.
Karen

8 replies
Smith2736 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smith2736 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 9

Don't get too frustrated! It's all about practice. I'm new to this as well (started last February). I LOVE MMF - I've done maybe 8-10 cakes with it so far and it does get much easier as you play with it. I haven't seen the recipe with Crisco, it seems that it would make it too greasy. But if that ever happens, try working in a bunch of powdered sugar, that should make it easier to work with. I just microwave 1 bag marshmallows with a tiny bit of water, put some flavoring in (vanilla usually), then work in as much powdered sugar as I can until it's the texture I want. GOOD LUCK! icon_smile.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 5:01am
post #3 of 9

I read somewhere too much Crisco will break down the MMF. I only use enough in mine to keep it from sticking to my hands and bowl. Our mistakes can be costly at times, but the one sure way to learn how to do something is to keep trying. Even a runner doesn't usually win in his first few races. He has to keep practicing too. Good luck. I look back at some of my first cakes and think, what in the world possessed me to do that.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 9

hang in there! I can't tell you the number of cakes that I have had to throw away. with time you will learn what works best for you.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 9

I've been doing cakes (to sell) for about 12 years. My granddaughter's last birthday cake was a total disaster! It was doomed from the very beginning. Of course, she thought it was perfect because it was pink and had butterflies and sparkles.

You're right - - most of the time we're learning what NOT to do. But then when everything goes right and we have that WOW cake to send out the door, it's the best thing in the world.icon_biggrin.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 9

It's all about trial and error! You'll get there!

As the PP said, our MMF recipe only calls for crisco to grease the bowl and the counter when you are working the sugar in. It's not really necessary to mix crisco in with the fondant itself.

You could also try MFF, this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/michele-fosters-updated-fondant/

It's a little more involved to make than MMF, but it's a dream to work with, and tastes so good!!!

Did you say your ganache didn't taste good with the buttercream? That seems odd to me, because I find ganache and buttercream to be divine together! May I ask what ganache recipe you are using?

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the support icon_smile.gif I knew that cake was doomed from the beginning when it cracked, and it went all down hill from there, lol, and I just remembered I forgot to put the salt in the buttercream..lol.
The buttercream recipe I am using calls for unsalted butter, vanilla, salt, milk, conf.sugar, and I think thats it. It's really good but it just doesn't taste good with ganache. The ganache is just ghirardelli with heavy cream. Is there a better chocolate bar and buttercream recipe Im missing out on? lol
Thanks for the MMF recipe, I will give it a try. thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 9

The recipe LoveMeSomeCake615 gave you is for Michelle Foster's Fondant (MFF), not for Marshamallow Fondant (MMF). it's delicious, yes, and you should try it.

If you want MMF, here's one very detailed. Note how it says no more than 2 tbsp of Crisco.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamb17

The buttercream recipe I am using calls for unsalted butter, vanilla, salt, milk, conf.sugar, and I think thats it. It's really good but it just doesn't taste good with ganache. The ganache is just ghirardelli with heavy cream. Is there a better chocolate bar and buttercream recipe Im missing out on? lol
Thanks for the MMF recipe, I will give it a try. thumbs_up.gif

Hmm, no that's pretty much the same bc and ganache recipes we use too.

And yes, that recipe is Michele Foster's Fondant, not Marshmallow fondant, sorry for the confusion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%