Please Leave Feedback!!

Decorating By ahsatan81 Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 4:35pm by lyndim

ahsatan81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahsatan81 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 12

Hi I am new to cake decorating. I have made a few cakes for friends and family. I have uploaded some pictures of my cakes to my profile. I would really appreciate some feedback or constructive criticism.

I have learnt everything I know from YouTube and the internet!

Thank you so much

ahsatan81

11 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 12

Cakes look great. I'm not even going to bother with giving little criticisms, because the things that I see could use improvement, are things you're going to pick up on soon anyways, I can tell from your current skill level. Keep at it!

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 12

Those are nice!!! You are doing great...I just started decorating too.....now I'm addicted.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 12

Love the TMNT one! I would say steer clear of the star tip buttercream cakes.. That's a step backwards from the fondant ones. Also cover the silver boards with fondant, makes them look "finished" and more sophisticated IMO. You'd lose marks if it were a competition cake and the board was unfinished.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 12

......steer clear of the star tip buttercream cakes.. That's a step backwards from the fondant ones.....

I totally *must DISagree!* That is like a slap in the face to those of us who do b'cream work.
Nothing wrong with learning all levels of decorating. I would never say that fondant work is ugly/hard/distasteful because sooooo many people here in the states do NOT like to eat it and usually peel it off the cake icon_sad.gif
Both b'cream and fondant decorating have their place but to say one is a backwards step is really shameful.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 12

Eh, it takes a lot for a star tip cake to look good. I have seen some super cute ones, for sure, but I know what Lisa means. She wasn't dissing BC cakes at all. I didn't interpret it that way. I love working with both.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 12:05am
post #7 of 12

What I meant was, she can obviously do very good fondant cakes, why take a step back to Wilton Class 1 with the star tip, Some do look good but in my personal opinion fondant or buttercream well smoothed or piped (eg petal effect, rosette, frills ) look better.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 1:29am
post #8 of 12

I disagree, Ive seem alot of star tip cakes that look better than some fondant cakes. its all in how you make it work

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 10:32am
post #9 of 12

Hi!

Your fondant work is great, I'd keep heading in that direction if I were you. Nothing wrong with buttercream, it's just obvious that you do really well with fondant. thumbs_up.gif

As someone else suggested, covering cake boards with fondant will make them look more professional. I would also add, that if you're investing in more cakey tools, then look at some of the Windsor Clickstix ejector letter cutters (or Tappits, although they can be harder to master) - just because I think they give a nicer look to text than the standard metal alphabet cutters do.

Great cakes though, I do love the ninja turtle! icon_smile.gif

~Coral

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:48am
post #10 of 12

First of all, welcome to the addiction of CC!! YAY! Definetly get on Youtube and google tutorials as that helps a lot for me too! You are doing great and it all just takes repetition practice..piping is not easy indeed but you are well on your way to enhance any of your skills. Your work is great for a beginner..congrats..and keep it up..I took pics from the time I started to now and I can really see a difference in my work..it's all just practice really.

Ck out my funny turkey on strikes cake and let me know what you think! Hope you had a fab. turkey day! Best of luck to you!

ahsatan81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahsatan81 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you so much for all your comments! I will definitely be investing in some tappits - the are on the Christmas wish list! *Husband I hope you are reading this! Haha* I have a baby shower to do this weekend with a request for sugar cookies, cake pops & cupcakes! Should be interesting! I also have a cake to do for my daughters 9th birthday this week... Avril Lavigne inspired... wish me luck!! Thank u again to everyone - I am definitely enjoying this learning curve and caking! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 12

Good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%