The Color Red

Decorating By twogrammys Updated 8 Jan 2012 , 3:12am by traci_doodle

twogrammys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twogrammys Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:08am
post #1 of 17

How can I make red buttercream without it tasting bitter, but still be bright red? I have tried christmas red, red and no taste red with no luck. I ended up buying ready made red roses for a cake I made. Any suggestions? Thanks !

16 replies
peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:28am
post #2 of 17

It helps if you start with pink icing, but it's pretty tough to avoid a funny taste.

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:32am
post #3 of 17

I gave up trying for a good red and bought a bucket of it from the bakery at Sams Club. It'll last for months and I honestly don't think I could make it for what I paid for it. Tastes great too!

smallnmighty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smallnmighty Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 17

I have found the perfect way comes out every time. Use orange and rose and no taste red.

artmojo1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artmojo1975 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 4:07am
post #5 of 17

I agree with Molly_36 I don't bother trying make red or black icing anymore. It's too time consuming and uses too much color, leaving that funny coloring taste. I also buy pre-colored red and black icing. The stuff I use is from CK and I actually and some white buttercream to it before using it because the color is so intense straight out of the container. It lasts a long time.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 17

Agreed- buy it pre-made. I have also bought the CK- and never thought to lighten it- it is intense/deep color-

Can you buy colored buttercream from the bakers counter at the discount stores??

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 17

I know Wilton makes a "no taste" / "no flavor" red. Not sure if that helps.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 17

Chefmaster liqua gel color is the way to go. Highly concntrated, no bad taste and no waiting for it to intensify.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 17

Any 'bold/deep/dark color is going to have an off taste icon_sad.gif
For red start with a *very dark/bright/deep* pink OR orange OR yellow. Then add some 'no taste' paste/gel color & UNsweetened KoolAid (such as black cherry or strawberry. This needs to be done at least 8-12 hours ahead of time so make it like the night before. In the am it might have some dark spots throught it but all you need to do is give it a good stir and they will disappear icon_smile.gif
Any paste or gel color that has 'super' as part of the color such as 'super pink' or 'super purple' etc will be stronger in color.
Another way if you only need a small amount is to buy one of Wilton's plastic tubes of red (Costs about $2.29). Cut the back off and scrape out the icing. Add that to about the same amount of your icing. It helps also if you use any of the colors mentioned above for red: pink, orange or yellow. Those tubes of colored icing are soooo very saturated w/color you can easily mix it and still have a nice red color. I also do this with blue, black and brown icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Any 'bold/deep/dark color is going to have an off taste icon_sad.gif
For red start with a *very dark/bright/deep* pink OR orange OR yellow. Then add some 'no taste' paste/gel color & UNsweetened KoolAid (such as black cherry or strawberry. This needs to be done at least 8-12 hours ahead of time so make it like the night before. In the am it might have some dark spots throught it but all you need to do is give it a good stir and they will disappear icon_smile.gif
Any paste or gel color that has 'super' as part of the color such as 'super pink' or 'super purple' etc will be stronger in color.
Another way if you only need a small amount is to buy one of Wilton's plastic tubes of red (Costs about $2.29). Cut the back off and scrape out the icing. Add that to about the same amount of your icing. It helps also if you use any of the colors mentioned above for red: pink, orange or yellow. Those tubes of colored icing are soooo very saturated w/color you can easily mix it and still have a nice red color. I also do this with blue, black and brown icon_smile.gif

I've never had an "Off Taste" with chefmaster and it's all I use for black and red. You use very little compared to other gels.

Smore4us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smore4us Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 17

I have also had good luck using a red "candy-n-cake" powdered food color...possibly a ck company product from my local cake supply store. I used that mixed with the wilton no-taste or Americolor Super Red. Good luck!

twogrammys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twogrammys Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas. You are all so kind to share your idea's.

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 1:44am
post #13 of 17

I have found that the Americolor brand of gel coloring works great in red! It's the best if wanting to color your own buttercream red...

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 2:00am
post #14 of 17

Look at the red on my candle cake in my photo gallery...it's right at the front. That is nothing but Americolor bright Red and buttercream. I didn't use that much and there was no funny taste either. I've used Wilton's but have to add twice as much and it DOES taste wonky. HTH.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 2:22am
post #15 of 17

I use Candy Craft powder red along with Americolor Red Gel. The powders do better for me if I am making a dark color. The only drawback, the icing needs to rest for a while before you use it just to make sure everything is mixed well.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 2:37am
post #16 of 17

I agree with grandmomof1, I've only been able to achieve a real red with the powder.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 3:12am
post #17 of 17

My advice--don't use Wilton! I have never achieved a true red with Wilton. It always looks a little too pink for my taste. I like Americolor super red as well, and make sure to make it at least a day in advance so the color can deepen as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%