Cake For Funeral Reception Question

Decorating By coffeelover Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 1:41am by coffeelover

coffeelover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeelover Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 9

My Godfather passed away from cancer this week. Earlier this year, he was at a party that I made a cake for and told me when he got better and was able to eat again that I owed him a cake. I agreed to that but unfortunately, he never was able to. With his funeral in a few days, I want to make a cake to either serve at the reception or give to his wife. My question is what is appropriate for this situation....a decorated cake.....plain.....he loved motorcycles and bbq and I was going to make him something along those lines before he passed. Any ideas? Thanks!

8 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 9

For me I would say simple plain cake for the reception some people may not accept a decorated cake at funeral reception and think it is wrong. You can talk to his wife to see what see wants or save the decorated cake to honor him on his one year passing or on his birthday. I do know some people on the first year anniversary of passing get together with family to remember him/her and to celebrate their life their are able to talk and laugh with out feeling guilty. The first year is the hardest for a lot of people depending on how they passed.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 9

I did this for the family of a beloved neighbor--they always had a cake from me for every family occasion so it seemed appropriate for the good lady's post-service meal as well. I made a simple sheet cake, marked off in servings, easy to serve, with a little flower in each square. No message. They will love your thoughtfulness and there is no risk of being inappropriate if you keep it simple. HTH

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 9

I am so sorry for your loss....I also would not do a decorated cake but what if you found a nice picture of him and made an edible image out of it and put that on top of the cake for all to remember his lovely smile...something along those lines.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 9

The family might have a hard time cutting a cake with an image of the loved one on it. How about a photo of his motorcycle?

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 9

matter of choice but you are probably right.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 9

I would talk to his wife about it. Every family and everybody has their own idead of what is "appropriate". I have been at furnerals for one side of my family where everyone sits and its very quiet and solem afterwards and then a complete flip for the other side of the family. They tend to drink, have some inappropriate laughter and talk.

For me, one side would pick the plain cake and the other would pick a cake to represent the life of their loved one.

I personally wouldn't want a cake showing up the birthday of someone who has recently passed. To me it would be a very painful reminder that they never made it to celebrate another year.

Only the wife/family can really answer this question for you I think. Everyone is just so different.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 9

I am sorry for your loss, ask his wife and children if any. Your best bet ius to do a simple sheet cake and then do a motorcycle cake for his wife and present it to her privately, she may choose to display it.

coffeelover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeelover Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:41am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the input. I am going to make my old stand by pineapple upside down cake and talk to his wife about making the decorated cake at a later date after things settle a bit. Thanks for the condolences also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%