Selling My Cakes, Advertising...do I Need A License?

Business By Sweetmaddy Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 9:41am by Sweetmaddy

Sweetmaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetmaddy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I am new here. I have been baking for a while for family and friends and decided why not sell my product. My boyfriend owns a mom/pop restaurant. As we were discussing my health department requirements to bake at home, he suggested me using his kitchen, as I need, for baking.
His restaurant is up to code.

If I am using his kitchen to bake and prepare my cakes, do I still have to get any other type of license or inspections? I am using my first name for the business and planning on creating ingredient labels, and just baking per order, not extras to display, until my techniques improve.

I am in PA..

Thanks,
Madeline

5 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure of all the rules down in the states, but I know up here, we would still need our own inspection as a separate business. You'll likely need to register your business, as you'll need to pay taxes on your income, and you would probobly need your own insurances. Unless you can get covered under theirs and pay any increase in their premiums.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

Not sure of all the rules down in the states, but I know up here, we would still need our own inspection as a separate business. You'll likely need to register your business, as you'll need to pay taxes on your income, and you would probobly need your own insurances. Unless you can get covered under theirs and pay any increase in their premiums.

100% agree.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 6

Every state, even each county is different. Check with your local county health dept.
I'm sure you would need to have your own insurance.
I hope you understand that *everything* would need to be done at the resturant....you cannot bake there then take it home (or anywhere el,se) to finish the work.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 6

To avoid everything, I think you would need to be an employee and use their name. But it should be fairly simple to start under your name. That inspection may find grandfathered missed requirements, so a license is not automatic.

The answer is simply found with your local health department. You will probably be pleasantly surprised at the ease. Definitely get your own insurance.

Sweetmaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetmaddy Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 9:41am
post #6 of 6

Thank you to all your comments. It was actually easier than I thought. Until Im legal, I just continue to practice with family cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%