Filling Amounts?

Decorating By littlestruedel Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 5:33pm by leah_s

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:34am
post #1 of 18

I know Wilton has a list of how much batter to use for each sized cake, and how much icing to cover the cake, but I am looking for a list of how much filling I need to fill each sized cake.

I need to fill a 14" and 6" with one type of filling and a 10" with another type of filling, each about 1/4 deep.

Does anyone know if there is a list? Or could share their information?

Thank you!

17 replies
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:49am
post #2 of 18

My understanding is the filling amount Wilton list is based on one layer of filling and icing the outside of the cake. Therefore, you could potentially double or triple their recommendations to get to where you need to be. To better help you, please let us know how may layers of filling do you use for each cake. For example I use 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling for my cakes.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:16am
post #3 of 18

Little struedel,
This is my constant delima. So what I've been doing is basically measuring out how much filling I'm using for any given cake. But I just started my spreadsheet.

Right now I'm not torting. Just putting a good amount of filling between the layers. I make a stiff buttercream dam using an open couple with no tip. It's between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch once I get it all said and done.
For a 14 inch square cake, it took approximately 5 cups of frosting for the filling. I was shocked but that's what it was. For a 6 inch round it was about 1/2 cup of filling. These amounts do not include the dam.
The dam on the 14 inch was about a cup and the damn on the 6 inch was just under 1/2 a cup.

If you happen to keep track of how much frosting you use, please share. If we can get enough info, I'll put together a spreadsheet for everyone.

Cristy

How I'm measuring, is I weight out 1 cup per frosting plug then add up the number of plugs I use.

littlestruedel Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:44am
post #4 of 18

MCurry - I torte each layer, so I have 4 layers of cake, 3 of filling.

Sillywabbitz, I believe for my 9" rounds I use a cup of filling between each layer, so 3 cups total. So I guess, if I were any good at math, I could figure out the area of a 9" round, divide it by 1 cup and then I would know how much frosting it takes to cover 1 square inch, and then do the math for the rest of my cake sizes? It would be much easier with square cakes!

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:56am
post #5 of 18

Ok you shamed me into thisicon_smile.gif I'm a math major so here goes
Volume=3.14*radius*radius*height
So for an 8 inch square filling 1/4 inch thick
Volume= 3.14*16*.25=12.5 cubic inches

Volume of 1 cup of frosting - approximately 14.44 cubic inches ( thank you google)
So to fill an eight inch round is just under a cup

Ok the math geek in me feels better nowicon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:03am
post #6 of 18

Metria's cake calculator (by volume) chart comes in handy for this too.

Just enter 1" width, 1" length, and .25 height (for 1/4" filling thickness), then choose your pan size (8" round, in this example). Hit the "Calculate!" button to see the cubic inches = 12.56 (ignore the total servings calculation).

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cakulator.cgi?group_round=8&option=3&option=Select+Cakulator&servingSize=Continue&serving_width=1&serving_length=1&serving_height=.25&calculate=Calculate%21&.cgifields=group_sheet&.cgifields=group_square&.cgifields=group_round

littlestruedel Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 18

Okay, so if I use Metria's calculator, Iget a total of 63 cubic inches for a 14" round. Divide that by 14.44 (volume of 1 cup frosting), and I get roughly 4.5, times 3 layers of frosting, I should need 13.5 cups just to fill the cake.

Good thing I did this, because I think I'm going to need more filling then I had originally thought.

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Ok you shamed me into thisicon_smile.gif I'm a math major so here goes
Volume=3.14*radius*radius*height
So for an 8 inch square filling 1/4 inch thick
Volume= 3.14*16*.25=12.5 cubic inches

Volume of 1 cup of frosting - approximately 14.44 cubic inches ( thank you google)
So to fill an eight inch round is just under a cup

Ok the math geek in me feels better nowicon_smile.gif

Fellow math geek here, sillywabbitz, and I've done the same thing and added a column to a spreadsheet I have that has the volume of batter, icing, fondant (my own calculation), bake time, etc... in it.

~Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestruedel

Okay, so if I use Metria's calculator, Iget a total of 63 cubic inches for a 14" round. Divide that by 14.44 (volume of 1 cup frosting), and I get roughly 4.5, times 3 layers of frosting, I should need 13.5 cups just to fill the cake.

Good thing I did this, because I think I'm going to need more filling then I had originally thought.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the calculator you used, but using sillywabbitz formula (which I figured out on my own and use also), you'd get:

3.14 * 7 * 7 * .25 = 38.47cu in, divided by 14.44 = 2.66 cups per layer of filling
3 layers of filling * 2.66 cups = 7.98 cups of filling.

I, personally, would only make 8 cups of filling. I always use the forumula, and end up with a small amount of filling left over. If you want, have enough ingredients on hand to make more in case the 8 cups aren't enough.

~Chelle

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

Fellow math geek here, sillywabbitz, and I've done the same thing and added a column to a spreadsheet I have that has the volume of batter, icing, fondant (my own calculation), bake time, etc... in it.

~Chelle

Me too...I have my spreadsheet with frosting amounts. I'm still working on my frosting amounts per cake. I know I can do the math and just need to sit down and do iticon_smile.gif I have two batter calculations
1) The weight of each pan size filled with appropriate amount of batter
2) How many of each pan size I can fill with a single or double recipe
This helps me determine how many batches I need. I do use the cup recommendations on Wilton because they're pretty good but some of my recipes make more or less batter.

I don't do fondant cakes very often but I always end up with WAY too much colored fondant for me decorations. So I've been trying to make small decos with my extra fondant and just keep them for future cupcakesicon_smile.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Quote:

~Chelle

Me too...I have my spreadsheet with frosting amounts. I'm still working on my frosting amounts per cake. I know I can do the math and just need to sit down and do iticon_smile.gif I have two batter calculations
1) The weight of each pan size filled with appropriate amount of batter
2) How many of each pan size I can fill with a single or double recipe
This helps me determine how many batches I need. I do use the cup recommendations on Wilton because they're pretty good but some of my recipes make more or less batter.

I don't do fondant cakes very often but I always end up with WAY too much colored fondant for me decorations. So I've been trying to make small decos with my extra fondant and just keep them for future cupcakesicon_smile.gif

I use Satin Ice fondant, and they have a chart on their website for the amount of fondant for certain size cakes (it's less than Wilton says). I figured out a formula (don't have it right now, I'm at work) to calculate the amount of Satin Ice fondant needed, lol.

~Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestruedel

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the calculator you used, but using sillywabbitz formula (which I figured out on my own and use also), you'd get:

3.14 * 7 * 7 * .25 = 38.47cu in, divided by 14.44 = 2.66 cups per layer of filling
3 layers of filling * 2.66 cups = 7.98 cups of filling.

I, personally, would only make 8 cups of filling. I always use the forumula, and end up with a small amount of filling left over. If you want, have enough ingredients on hand to make more in case the 8 cups aren't enough.

~Chelle

Ok........so I followed the formula state above, and apparently I only put 1/8inch filling between my layers.....since I ended up with twice at much filling as I needed, lol. The formula works....if you put the right numbers into it!

~Chelle

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:30am
post #13 of 18

You folks just impressed the absolute heck out of me and gave me a headache at the same time.

I just put any leftovers in the freezer. That's how I figure out how much.

littlestruedel Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:34am
post #14 of 18

Apti, that's my general method too! I think 2 plus 2 is yellow, so I usually have to enlist the help of my genius husband when figuring these things out!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:41am
post #15 of 18

It ISN"T yellow??????

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:43am
post #16 of 18

You guys are the best! This saved me!!!

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 18

*blank stare*    

my head hurts now...icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 18

There's a very good chart for this in The Cake Bible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%