Help Please!!!

Sugar Work By Babs1964 Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 3:07am by Babs1964

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to make a Christmas ball that will sit on top of a cupcake out of chocolate. Here's my problem I don't have a round hollow mould so I tried blowing up a water balloon & lightly coated it with vegtable oil then dipped the balloon in the melted chocolate & let it set. Next I popped the balloon but couldn't peel the balloon out of the chocolate the balloon was stuck to the chocolate other wise it worked for the shape I needed. Can someone make a suggestion that might help the balloon from sticking to the chocolate? Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Babs1964 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 8

Sorry going to bump this icon_redface.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 8

Sorry no one knows the answer. I have read for years that is how to do it. I think I tried it once and had similar results that you state.
Instead of popping the balloon try slowly letting the air out? Seems to me that is one hint I read somewhere along the way.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:09am
post #4 of 8

Try putting it in the fridge for a few minutes before you pop the balloon.
I've seen this done with the clear hard plastic christmas ornaments you fill. They come about in 2 pieces. I wonder if you could find one small enough.

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:18am
post #5 of 8

have you tried a little more shortening in your chocolate?

missy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy2008 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:34am
post #6 of 8

did you chill the chocolae before popping the balloon? chilling thru freezer/refrigerator should contract the chocolate away from the rubber in the balloon.
don't know why the chocolate didn't release. are you using tempered chocolate? or candy coating? if it's chocolate that has to be tempered, then it could be you don't have it tempered. candy coating? well, i would think it' hasn't set up enough to release.
can you try again? hope there is time...

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #7 of 8

I had that problem, and got frustrated with them, so I put them in a bowl and left them overnight. The next day, the balloons just started peeling off. Don't know why, but they were perfect then. icon_smile.gif

Babs1964 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I did add a little crisco to the chocolate. I'm using real chocolate that I've melted in the micro thumbs_up.gifwave, I did chill it before popping the balloon. I will try one & leave it overnight to see what happens! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%