Cake For My Own Son :(

Decorating By lilcakebaker Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 1:14pm by Texas_Rose

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 7

So, the whole reason I started decorating cakes last year was so I could make really cool cakes for my son. He is now turning two and is having a small little party the first part of Nov. Problem.....I just had foot surgery on Monday and on Friday Im having an abdominal surgery. So after making moving, light up carved cakes for all of his little friends would it be bad of me just to make cupcakes or a small cake? Im not sure I feel up to making a really large cake right now but I for sure want to make something. Even then, IM not really sure what to decorate them as. He really likes NASCAR (yes at age 2) I even made him a Carl Edwards costume for Halloween. Would little cars on them look ok? Any suggestions? Im really feeling badly about not being able to do more for him.

Thanks...

6 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 7

What? You're not Super Mom? Wow - - you're just like the rest of us. We all have times when we just aren't up to it. He'll be just as thrilled with cupcakes, I promise. As long as it's sweet, gooey and bad for him, he'll love it. And he won't be traumatized by not having a masterpiece of a cake. You'll make up for it next year and life will continue. Don't beat yourself up about it - - you sound like an amazing mom and taking it easy on yourself during a difficult time is not wrong.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

I know you are feeling like a bad mom but be assured that are *many, many more* b'days coming where you will be able to shine and make wonderful memories for both of you.
This is something you are going to have to wait until the last minute to decide if you are up to it or not. Nothing wrong w/cars on cuppies for sure.

I have read many stories on here how mom was unable to make DS or DDs cake and just ploped a toy on top of a quickly baked cake and the kid just LOVED iticon_smile.gif He's just 2 - lots of time in the future for giving him over the top cakes icon_smile.gif

Daani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daani Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

First of all, you sound like an amazing mom and I'm sure cupcakes or a small cake will be more than fine!!!! I too started to bake ONLY to make my little one's (I have 3) B'Day cakes and last week was my 2nd babie's 3rd Birthday but we had just gotten back from a long trip so I got her a blueberry muffin (her favourite) and put a candle in it and she was THRILLED!!!!! Deep down inside I felt horrible so I explained to her that "mommy would make you a really nice Dora princess cake for your party" and her reply was "but I love my blueberry cake...my best B'Day ever"........It's the simple things in life that makes them happy...nevertheless, I did make her a proper Dora castle cake that weekend and she was thrilled that she got 2 birthday cakes this year!!!!!
I'm sure your little boy would treasure his Birthday no matter what kind of yummy cupcake/cake he has so long as his mommy is there with him!!! icon_smile.gif Hope you have a speedy recovery.

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 7

oh thank you! I was feeling so badly about this but I guess it will be ok. I am having the surgery to give him a sibling! I guess thats enough with some cupcakes.

Thanks again, you all really did make me feel better.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:21am
post #6 of 7

Here's an idea for you that your son and his little friends will love, it ties into the NASCAR idea, and it's super easy. Do cupcakes, and top each one with an edible tire. icon_smile.gif

Just use a round chocolate-covered cookie, like a fudge-coated Oreo, and pipe rims and spokes or hubcaps on each one with white icing. You can lay them all out on a cookie sheet and do it sitting down. icon_smile.gif Then plop a tire cookie on top of each plain-frosted cupcake.

Holly

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 7

He's two, he's not going to remember this cake, most likely. But just in case...some of the simplest cakes I've done for my kids were their favorites. I made a cake for my daughter right after I had leg surgery, and the cake was just a mermaid sitting on a rock, with the Wilton wonder mold pan and doll pick. I felt bad that it was so simple, but years later she's still talking about how great it was...and she's had much more spectacular birthday cakes since then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%