Need Serious Help Please With 3D Tiara Due In 48 Hours!

Decorating By Torimomma Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 7:17pm by Torimomma

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 11

I have a cake due Saturday and I made a tiara out of royal icing but I designed a better one this weekend. I have tried to make it twice and have broken them both I think due to humidity. I don't think I have time to try again so I want to go with gumpaste using an extruder. I'm on my way to get the extruder now and I'd like to know if I can expect it to dry by Saturday. Are there any tips to getting it to dry faster? It is 1pm on Thursday where I am now.

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 11

gumpaste usually dries rather quickly, i did one on sunday and it was ready for painting monday night.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11

Buy the Wilton Gumpaste. It dries super fast.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 11

It also dries a bit faster if you stick it in the oven and leave the oven light on.

Torimomma Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 11

Ok, I got the extruder and bought wilton gumpaste and laid the tiara out on my raisin can. I'm going to make another one just in case but I'm hoping for the best. If this one breaks on me I guess it will be easier to glue back together with some royal icing.

Thanks for your help, guys!

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 11

sounds like you have a plan! Ii just made 8 tiaras....4 gumpaste, 4 royal icing....i was in the same pinch as you once, i glued my tiara back together with more RI, it wasnt a bad break mind you then i colored it and covered it in edible glitter, no one would have known it broke! i have also needed gumpaste to dry at lightening speed....believe it or not, i put mine in a airtight container (i know ur thinking thats gonna hold in the moisture but...) i put in about 6 packs (which was over kill...but i was panicking!) of desiccant...the stuff we put in our sugar creations to keep them shiny and DRY. i am telling you, i used wiltons gumpaste and a solid character was dry in less than 24 hours! just some food for thought! good luck! i bet its gonna be gorgeous!

Torimomma Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 11:48am
post #7 of 11

Like those little packets that come with new shoes! That is just genius! I made a gumpase extruded one and one that I cut from a template. I'm sticking with whatever one I like best (or doesn't break)!

Torimomma Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 11

I removed them from the wax paper a few minutes ago and aside from a few sticky spots where I was overzealous with the gum glue it is pretty much set! I'm letting it sit for a bit so the backs can dry out more. I like the extruder one best but the one I cut from a template is pretty nice too. It's for a friend of mine so I'm just gonna let her pick the one she likes best. Pictures will follow tomorrow after the party.

Thanks again!

BTW, I got the Walnut Hollow extruder from Michaels with the crank handle with my 40% off coupon (so $14.99) and I think it's gonna be my new best friend!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 11

Hi, glad it turned out well, another idea is make a combined gumpaste royal icing tiara, cut out the template, follow placement on can as usual, then roll out thin gumpaste, flat, and follow the template, this is the structure that will secure your royal icing design, then pipe the royal icing. just another way of doing it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:17am
post #10 of 11

For the future if you need a tiara in a hurry you can pipe it in chocolate icon_smile.gif

Torimomma Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 11

Now I never thought to use chocolate! I have a big bag of the wedding white melts too! Now someone at my SIL job saw the ones I made and wants some for his daughter with the mini tiaras. I may try the chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%