Projectors

Baking By yummy Updated 14 Dec 2012 , 11:41am by sheilabelle

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 14

Is there another cheaper projector out there to draw on cookies besides Kopykake?

Nothing against there company, it's just that I am just starting to try cookies and would like to learn how to decorate more detailed cookies. I am not making enough cookies now to justify the expense of the real deal. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas wishlist.

For those of you who use projectors, is KK the only one you all use?

13 replies
writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 14

I didn't buy one yet, but, I saw an art projector that looked very similar to Kopykake in Michael's craft store. It was about the same price although Michaels offers 40% off coupon's every week in the Sunday newspaper and on their website at michaels.com. If you wait until the Christmas season, they offer 50% coupons.

chocolate_luvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate_luvr Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #3 of 14

Hi. Just a thought... have you tried ebay? Im sure you could get a great deal on there icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 14

I got my KK for free, but if it ever quit working, I'd buy another one the same day without hesitation! It's the one decorating tool that I use constantly, and it's wonderful. I tend to lean towards complicated cookie designs, and the KK really helps me get them uniform. Love it!

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 14

I bought my KK from ebay and even with shipping to Honolulu it was a steal. I do cookies for friends and family so I'm not making money for cookies but I am happy with my purchase. I would buy it again.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 14

What does a projector do for cookies? Does it cast an image on a cookie like an overhead projector? I made a ton of cookies last Christmas freehand, highly detailed took forever! This would be a great tool to have.

GeminiRJ Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:44am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelle

What does a projector do for cookies? Does it cast an image on a cookie like an overhead projector? I made a ton of cookies last Christmas freehand, highly detailed took forever! This would be a great tool to have.

That's exactly what it does! I will often draw the image onto the cookie using a food color pen (the brown and flesh color pens from Americolor are my favorites) and then I ice the cookie like I would do a paint-by-number. It's also great for getting any lettering on a cookie....like a monogram. LOVE my KK!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks everyone! I've never tried to buy anything from ebay; haven't been on the site in years. Do you still have to bid or can I buy outright?

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 14

You can buy outright, bid, or make them an offer, it depends on the seller. I usually "buy it now" I buy about 50% of my cake supplies from ebay.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 14

GeminiRJ, what font do you use for monograms with the KK?

Suz246 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suz246 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:20am
post #11 of 14

This forum caught my attention: I researched the KK website and was confused by all of the different projectors. Those of you that have one, which one would you recommend.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:43am
post #12 of 14

I bought and love the KK1000, it can be used in the daylight or in a room with the light on. I always use it for writing on cookies and cakes. Like gemini I would by another one the same day something happened to mine.

GeminiRJ Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

GeminiRJ, what font do you use for monograms with the KK?

I have a very old calligraphy book that belonged to my mom when she was young. It has a ton of different font styles. I pick one I like, draw up what I want, then use it in the KK. As long as the original is about 67% smaller than what I want the final design to be, it will fit perfectly on my cookie. You could goggle different font styles to find one that fits your needs....I've just had really good luck with my book!

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 11:41am
post #14 of 14

Does anyone use a projector that hooks directly to your computer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%