Getting A Smooth Fbct???

Decorating By Bethroze Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 10:24pm by AnitaK

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 7

I love working with FBCT, but I end up trying to brush out creases where I have piped in the icing. I pop the pan in the freezer between colors, so I realize that it makes the icing harden immediately causing the rough finish. That being said, if I don't harden the outlines, won't they move or smear? Tips needed!!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
MamaMarsha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMarsha Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 7

I have done a few this summer and I don't freeze it until I have it all done and I have not had any problems with the outlines so I think you shoud be ok.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

I've done many a FBC transfers and I've never place it in the freezer until it was completely finished. Make sure your icing is the right consistency, and you have all your colors ready. Place the transfer in the freezer when it's completely finished. icon_lol.gif

Bethroze Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 7

I wonder if my consistency is too thick also. I do have a tendency to work with very stiff buttercream when piping. I'm surprised I haven't done in my hands and wrists yet.

Bethroze Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 7

I wonder if my consistency is too thick also. I do have a tendency to work with very stiff buttercream when piping. I'm surprised I haven't done in my hands and wrists yet.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 7

When I do mine it is a soft medium. Thin icing sticks too much, but the soft medium also works well. Also instead of piping lines you want to let the icing build out away from the tip, keeping the tip buried in the icing.

I am also one that doesn't put my piece in the freezer until completely done.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 7

I have found that if I allow the icing to crust then gently press the icing, it tends to do away with the line-look and then I apply another layer of icing on top before freezing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%