How Do I Create Sand Effect On Cake???

Decorating By kimdel1774 Updated 24 Jan 2007 , 9:36am by Erlyns_Treats

kimdel1774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimdel1774 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 18

I have seen many cakes with what looks like sand on them. I am creating a cars cake for my son with a road and then dirt. What has everyone used to portray dirt. I usually just make the regular buttercream icing. I have considered just tiniting the icing but then that is no fun! I tried the luster dust but it didn't spread very easy. HELP!

17 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 18

People usually use grahm cracker crumbs. I haven't tried myself, but obviously works! Or you can use cake crumbs, or brown sugar. HTH!

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 18

dirt- crushed oreos? or fondant road.

sand- crushed graham crackers or brown sugar

srodge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodge1 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 18

I have always used graham cracker crumbs (see in my photos). The only thing using graham cracker crumbs is that your buttercream needs to be dried/crusted. If it's not, the graham cracker crumbs will absorb the moisture from your buttercream icing.

Some folks use brown sugar, but I prefer to use graham cracker crumbs as they are not as sweet.

Good luck and please post your cake when you're done!! I just finished a Cars cake this past weekend. I will post it tomorrow!.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 18

Ground up cookies make really good dirt or sand, just get which ever cookie is the closest color to what you need and grind 'em up! You can mix them too, for even better color matching. Added bouns they are yummy icon_smile.gif
HTH

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 18

You can use either light brown sugar or graham crumbs.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 18

I agree with everyone else. For small areas (sand) I have used brown sugar and for larger areas graham cracker crumbs.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 18

There are MANY things you can use. It depends on the look you want.
sand: graham cracker crumbs, vanilla waffers, brown sugar, etc....Oreo crumbs if you want a darker dirt look. A comination of ingredients listed above will work too.

HTH

noemis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noemis Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 18

I put Nilla wafers in a small food processor and used it as sand on a Sponge bob and Hawaiian cake I did.

cake-angel Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 18

Oh I used wilton colored sugar sprinkles for the side of a cake once to make a white beach sand (ocean resort beach) I just mixed a few colors together and srinkled on. It turned out okay. I know this is probably not the look you are trying to acheive on this cake but I just thought I would share.

kimdel1774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimdel1774 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 18

Sorry , should have said dirt, I am just worried that it would be too dark with oreo. I will try graham cracker and make sure that the icing has crusted over first.

I did a test run last night with the luster dust. It was a mess. I even considered using the spray coloring, but with that you don't get the same effect.

I guess my lil guy will be happier either way!

Thanks everyone!

Vmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vmoore Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 18

For dirt, I've used crushed chocolate chip cookies (it looks kinda like sand with chunks of dirt when crumbled-Chips Ahoy works well). I've also used crushed dark chocolate cookies, or oreos with the filling scooped out. Crumbled brownies work really well too.

For sand, I use turbinado (sometimes called demerarra) sugar. It's light brown with a larger grain than brown sugar (which I have found to be too fine). Some stores sell Sugar in the Raw, which works the same. Crushed Nilla Wafers cookies work great for sand, if you don't want to use the sugar.

I'm looking forward to seeing your cake. I'm doing a Cars cake in March and would love to see some new ideas! Good luck icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 18

What if you mixed oreo crumbs and graham crumbs together?

coachscarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coachscarey Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 8:21am
post #14 of 18

i haven't tried it but one of my books suggests gelatine for sand. Not sure if it would taste any good though.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 18

I use vanilla oreo cookies for sand. they taste great and look just like sand.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:30pm
post #16 of 18

I agree with cake angel...I think if you mixed in some oreos with graham crackers or vanilla wafers, you would get a good effect.

Kim_m_kk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_m_kk Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 4:35am
post #17 of 18

I made a contruction cake for my sons first birthday. I used oreos with a couple plain white biscuits to make the dirt and everyone commented how much it looked like dirt...lol

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:36am
post #18 of 18

If i had any left overs from white or yellow cake i put them on a cookie sheet...tosted it, let it air dry them put them in a bag, crunch em with a rolling pin and i had insant sand! Im sure this could work for choc cake mix for dirt. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%