Help! Hurricane Ruined My Cake, And The Bride Is Not Nice :(

Decorating By PeopleTreats Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 3:39am by scp1127

PeopleTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeopleTreats Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 27

Hi All! I'm scheduled to deliver a wedding cake this Saturday. Due to power loss, the service cakes I baked for 150 have spoiled. We've got power now, and I am able to start up on the cutting wedge to insert into the faux cake. The original order was for a faux cake, with service cakes to feed 150.

I emailed the bride yesterday as we do have an "act of god" clause in the contract. She yelled at me for not having a generator that would have kept her cakes safe during the hurricane. I mentioned that she was lucky my house was still standing and that power had been restored so that I could complete the faux cake at least.

Also part of the contract was the arrangement of flowers that the florist would provide. She wanted me to pay for the flowers to make up for the loss of cake, but couldn't give me a price. I asked her not to pay the final balance due of $124, but that since the ingredients were consumed, and the labor was completed, there was nothing more I could do.

I apologized profusely, and reminded her that there was a HURRICANE, and that she's lucky her venue is unaffected, and that her wedding is still scheduled with all other vendors.

What can I do to make this right? I don't have time to rebake the cakes.

26 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 27

why don't you have time to bake new cakes??? Its only tuesday and if those cakes aren't due until this coming weekend why not just bake more

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 27

Is it a deco issue? Can you not rebake because you're busy decorating the faux cake? I don't know what your plan was for the service cakes, but if they're plain sheet cakes with buttercream and no deco, maybe you can still do it. Do you know anyone who could come help you finish?

meljce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meljce Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 27

Hope it all worked out.

PeopleTreats Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 27

I don't have time to rebake them because this cake business is a side job. I can't afford to take time out of my "bill paying" job to rebake them; I've already scheduled Tues/Thu this week out of work to get the faux cake done. I can't lose an entire week of work!

I just emailed her offering to purchase the service cakes from a bakery. I hope that appeases her!

Any other ideas?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 27

Personally, I would stay up late to rebake if that is what was needed. If you hadn't gotten power back until Thursday or Friday, I could see that you would have to use your Act of God clause, but this really is not near enough to the event. I know it stinks and I'm sure you feel that you need your sleep, but unfortunately this is one of the downsides to be a sole proprietor. Good luck.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 27

That's crazy... you have time to rebake. Mix your batter and put it in the oven and decorate the faux cake while you wait. Stay up all night if you have to... we all do it. It is your responsibility to make sure that you follow through with your end of your contract. Why so quick to give up?? If the hurricane had taken out your house or if you still had no power that would be one thing, but to get your power back 4 days before your cakes were due gives you plenty of time. I'm sure she would rather have heard you say "due to the hurricane and loss of power I had to rebake your service cakes so your faux cake won't be able to be as elaborate as we initially designed. Please keep the $124 balance to make up for it".

I'd get baking... service cakes aren't decorated and they take no time to get together. Mix your fillings and have it all ready to go. Decorate your faux cake while you wait for things to bake/cool and see if she will be okay with leaving off some of the more elaborate details to save you some time. When did you assemble the service cakes?? It seems a little soon to have them assembled already for a saturday wedding.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 27

It's not as bleak as it seems... really. Two double layer 11 x 15 sheets (filled and 4" tall) will serve 75 + each... that is all you'd need. You could do that in 2 bake cycles if you have 2 pans. Do it in the morning... let it cool and chill and fill and frost in the evening and you are done. Then you can decorate the faux cake while you wait for things to bake and cool and you'll have the rest of your days off to work on finishing the display cake. You can do it!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Staryberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staryberry Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 27

I would not rely on that Act of God clause. You usually cannot use that unless it makes it impossible to comply with the contract. As it is, it has just made it more expensive or difficult to comply with the contract.

I'm sorry you are in this pickle, and I'm glad that you made it through the Hurricane without more significant damage, but you should find a way to provide that cake.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 27

It's really hard when you have a full time job and do the cakes as a side job. Sometimes the real job requires a lot of time. I know, since I'm in the same boat.

That said, it's only Tuesday now, and I can knock out baking several cakes in one evening. I'm lucky since I have a large mixer and a double oven, but even when I had a single, I could knock out several cakes (baking-wise) in one evening. It seems to me, as another side business home-baker, that you still have plenty of time. There is some level of obligation you have as a professional as well.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 27

Yes... I only have one oven and my "big" mixer is a Pro 5. I can knock out several cakes in an evening. I have a job during the school year and can still handle 3-4 cakes in a weekend. You can do this. You just have to be organized and have plenty of liquid pep on hand.

PeopleTreats Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 27

You guys are the best!

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'm gonna go get baking! It's gonna be a rough week - but chugga chugga... I think I can... I think I can!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 27

glad you are ok, rebake the cakes.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:08pm
post #14 of 27

Call the bride back ASAP! She is probably freaking out and trying to get someone else to make the cakes...

lilmissbakesalot Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 27

There you go! It's easy to sit and think "HOW the heck am I going to get this all done" when a wrench is thrown into the gears. Now call that bride and tell her you are sorry for the panic moment and you are going to work into the wee hours of the morning to get her cakes done. Hopefully she won't be too mad still.

pickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #16 of 27

I, too say there is enough time to rebake. You are saying that you are taking some time off to finish the dummy cake, I think you can fit baking new ones into that time. Act of God clause does not cover this as there are plenty of days left before the wedding to get new ones done. I agree with the others who say to rebake and also with the bride wanting here cake. Suck it up and just do a new one, your good deed will be praised by the bride and others.
evelyn/cakegrandma

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 27

I just want to say that I admire that you were able to take the advice in the spirit in which it was given and not become defensive. There are too many times where I (and I'm sure may others) hesitate to share opinions when I know it is not the answer the OP is wanting for fear of seeing the thread turn ugly. I'm happy to see that the advice has helped to motive you and give you the confidence to do what needs to be done in a less than ideal situation. Thank God your house and family are okay.

PeopleTreats Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:44pm
post #18 of 27

thank you everyone!

i did speak to the bride, and told her i took the week off of work to rebake. she is definitely relieved.

i've never had a cake disaster like this before, and I hope it never happens again!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:59pm
post #19 of 27

Glad you and your home are OK! Good luck with the cakes.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #20 of 27

I agree... it speaks volumes that you were able to read the posts and get charged up to get it done. I have seen it go the other way too many times. It's refreshing! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope you never have to deal with this again too, but at least you'll feel more confident should something make a bump in the road.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:07pm
post #21 of 27

Way to pull through! Bake your heart out!!!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:35pm
post #22 of 27

yeah, happy ending

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:47pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I just want to say that I admire that you were able to take the advice in the spirit in which it was given and not become defensive. There are too many times where I (and I'm sure may others) hesitate to share opinions when I know it is not the answer the OP is wanting for fear of seeing the thread turn ugly. I'm happy to see that the advice has helped to motive you and give you the confidence to do what needs to be done in a less than ideal situation. Thank God your house and family are okay.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

pickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:10pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I agree... it speaks volumes that you were able to read the posts and get charged up to get it done. I have seen it go the other way too many times. It's refreshing! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope you never have to deal with this again too, but at least you'll feel more confident should something make a bump in the road.

Hooray for you!!!! You will reap many benefits from this !
evelyn/ cakegrandma

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 10:14pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I agree 100%. Way to set an example on how to take the great advice of other cc'rs on this site PeopleTreats. I'm impressed. thumbs_up.gif

So glad you and your family are ok!

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:01am
post #26 of 27

You have plenty of time still (This from a mother of toddlers who does all her cakes after 8pm). You can do it!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:39am
post #27 of 27

Good for you! This positive way of doing business will come back to you many times. She and her friends will tell how you came through and they will refer to you. When its over, rest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%