Need A Quick Answer On Wasc

Baking By snoopy3 Updated 11 May 2017 , 8:20pm by kakeladi

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:04am
post #1 of 8

I want to make a strawberry cake, I've tried 3 recipes and I don't like them. I don't like the jello in the cake, can't get strawberry cake mix or extract where I am from, so I was wondering if I can replace the 1 1/3 cup of water all with pureed strawberries? Or do I have to use some water, also instead of sour cream, I would use strawberry yogurt.... PLEASE help with some advice icon_cry.gif

7 replies
jstan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstan Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:19am
post #2 of 8

if you do a search for 'macsmom' recipes she has a great one I use it has strawberry daquiri mix. It has a great strawberry taste

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 8

When I do strawberry, I use a strawberry cake mix, and follow the wasc recipe. However, instead of using water in the recipe, I use the juice that comes out of frozen strawberries (no syrup, just fresh frozen--we pick them every summer) when they thaw. It makes an awesome tart strawberry flavored cake!

snoopy3 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:03am
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I'll look for macsmom but for tonight I think I will try using the wasc and replacing with the frozen strawberries... I'm not sure what I am going to do with all of these strawberry test cakes, I have 4 of them on my counter right now and some cupcakes! Hopefully the next one turns out the way I picture it in my head. Thank you for the quick responses, it is very much appreciated icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:15am
post #5 of 8

I'm thinking that your idea will be just perfect. I'd probably use just 1 Cup. If you find the batter is very thick then you can stir in the other 1/4 to 1/3 cup. .......And yes, you can use strawberry yogurt instead of the sc.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:41am
post #6 of 8

snoopy3, I think your idea of using Strawberry juice instead of water and strawberry yogurt instead of sourcream sounds yummy. All the cakes that are strawberry that I have tried have strawberry gelatin in them, but I could not tell that they did. I have made one by Paula Deen at least 2 times and it has been a winner both times. It has strawberry jello in it and I don't think that anyone that tasted it could tell. I may try these ideas as well when I make it again. We do have strawberry cake mixes available, but I would rather make them from scratch myself. To me they are not a true strawberry taste. I have tasted a strawberry cake from a mix before and they were good, but not as good as the ones from scratch that have real strawberried in them.

snoopy3 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:10am
post #7 of 8

Ok, cake is still baking, but I made 2 tester cupcakes and they are good! icon_lol.gif There is a lingering strawberry taste, just what I wanted. This is what I did:

1 box white cake mix (betty crocker)
1 c flour
1 c sugar
4 eggs
1 cup strawberry yogurt (activia)
1 1/3 cups strawberry puree (I used frozen strawberries, thawed first, and blended them. I found at my bulk barn strawberry daiquiri juice crystal, so I added 1.5 tbs to the puree to intensify the flavor)
1/3 c oil

I am happy with the results, I still would like a scratch cake, but this will do just fine! So happy, thanks again everyone for you help and suggestions! I love you guys icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 May 2017 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 8

I came across this old post and nearly choked w/laughter that she used Activia! :(    Whenever I have used that I end up on the porcline thrown for hours LOL!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%