Fondant Designs On Buttercream?

Decorating By PlatypusCakes Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 3:50am by tracycakes

PlatypusCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PlatypusCakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

Im making a cake and Ive been making cakes for a year or so seriously but i have never tried putting fondant designs on buttercream. I have layed fondant out on buttercream then put other fondant designs on but i was wondering if my buttercream crusts really well could i stick fondant designs on the sides of a cake if it just has buttercream? this may be a dumb question..but i need to know the answer lol

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 5

Yes. I attach either when the buttercream on the cake is still soft or I add BC to the back of the fondant pieces and then attach them.

PlatypusCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PlatypusCakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much ive been learning alot within the past few months on dos and donts by making mistakes and while thats helpful and they were just me having fun i can not mess up this cake lol

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 5

Hello Ladies....I am considering the same on a wedding cake I'm doing.

She wants all tiers pure white BC and I thought I'd do scrolls, but if I can't scroll without a stencil - I'm up a creek! So I thought I'd make them out of RI or fondant.

I was told that RI to BC will dissolve b/c of the fat content in the BC - true or false?

What BC recipe works best for covering cakes???

so glad I found this post! would appreciate your input,

Thanks,
Lisa
[email protected]

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:50am
post #5 of 5

Pipe a buttercream scroll on buttercream, easy peasy. Just practice a little beforehand and use either a 2 or 3 tip. It will take forever to cut out each scroll, much easier to pipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%