Didn't Share A Recipe; Lost A Customer

Decorating By Bugaboo_Bakery Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 2:05pm by Curtsmin24

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 42

Hi everyone!

I have a problem and need some wise cakey advice. Every Thursday I sell cupcakes and other baked goods at my local farmer's market. This has been an amazing way to get new custom cake clients and it's been really fun being apart of the community. It also nice having a "store front" once a week.

Anyhoo, last Thursday everything had been going fine until a woman got so upset with me she threw her cupcake in the trash bin in front of my booth and announced loudly she would never do business with me again. She had bought a cupcake, taken a bite, and told me it was the best cake she had ever tasted. I thanked her, told her how happy i was she liked it, and if she ever needs a custom cake, cupcakes, etc I would be more than happy to be her baker.

She said she didn't need a custom cake but she would take the recipe so she could make them at home herself. This is when it got ugly. I thought she was joking so I gave her a big smile and told her I couldn't share the recipe with her because this is cake is what I am known for. It's my number one seller and I can't share. That is when she threw her little hissy fit.

Was I in the wrong here? There are some recipes I just don't share. So what do you guys think? Was I in the wrong?

41 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 42

You absolutely did the right thing, that woman sounds like she was off her meds. Sorry, that's just not the way normal people act.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 42

No, you were absolutely NOT wrong!! She threw a childish tantrum because she couldn't get her own way which was to make gorgeous cupcakes without the expense of buying.

Do not feel guilty, do not give in. If anyone mentions it, just sigh and smile and say that she got upset because you don't divulge your recipes.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 42

You absolutely were not wrong! This lady sounds nuts. You do not have to share your recipes with anyone. I wouldn't worry about losing this "customer", consider yourself lucky. Keep doing your thing and don't give this a second thought!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 42

Asking a baker for their recipes, is like asking Col. Sanders for his 'secret recipe.' Really? Some people have more nerve than brains.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 42

You didn't lose a customer...you never had one with this loon. Maybe she's practicing to be on 'Bridezilla'.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 42

Of course you weren't wrong. I don't even sell cakes and there are recipes that I won't share icon_smile.gif.

And you didn't lose a customer. She had purchased 1 cupcake and wasn't planning on buying from you again. No loss there.

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 42

I love you guys!!! Thank you for giving me some reassurance! I can't even imagine what a nightmare this woman would be with a custom cake. Seriously, thank you. I feel like 100 pounds have been lifted off my shoulders. icon_biggrin.gif

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 42

That gal is a just a space cadet. icon_confused.gif You did the right thing. You don't need customers like that!

I would have been tempted to throw a cupcake at her mid hissy. Be gone! Take that! (Splat).

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 42

she probably has mental illness.. you are better off without this customer. How stupid of her.. Her intention was probably to make them then sell them. In the future if she comes to you, do not sell her anything, she might come up with some other stupid ideas and sue you for any reason. Maybe she forgot to take her Prozac that day.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 42

If you don't want to give up your recipes, don't and don't let her get to you. There's a local cupcake shop in town that makes FANTASTIC cupcakes. I would love, love, love to have her recipes but I would NEVER ask for them. It is her livelihood afterall. At least you got a compliment that it was the best and you can rest easy that she will likely never have a cupcake better than yours icon_smile.gif

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 42

LOL! That really takes nerve. I agree with kelleym that that was not normal adult behavior. You were selling cupcakes, not recipes. She had the nerve to ask, you had the right to say no.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 42

I think we all have recipes that we don't share. For me it's my icing and a few others. Most anything else I'll share.

My pet peeve though is when someone has a great food recipe (side dish, main dish whatever) and they bring it to each and every function they attend but never share the recipe and take the damn thing to the grave with them! Really? What good is to ya then? I'll even share my icing recipe before I die.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 42

If people do not want to share recipes, then that is their business and no body else's.. they don't have to give a reason why. I never get upset when people do not want to share recipes.. I myself do not hide them.. I share them . I am not in the business anyway.. I do not make money from food. That attitude is just plain irrational and shallow and can be a sign of early mental illness or dementia , alzheimers or schizophrenia..esp. when they behave in a very uncivilized manner in public.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:49pm
post #15 of 42

Like others have said it sounds like the 'lady'(?) has problems icon_sad.gif
Next time something like that comes up there is a saying I've seen on here a few times that goes something like this:
"Good news and bad news: yes I can give you that information - BUT......then I'd have to kill you" !

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

That attitude is just plain irrational and shallow and can be a sign of early mental illness or dementia , alzheimers or schizophrenia..esp. when they behave in a very uncivilized manner in public.

Or she could just be a total jerk...

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 42

It really did surprise me how upset she got. I don't have a problem sharing most recipes but this one is special. I'm known for it so why would I want to share it? It seems like it would take away some of the specialness of it.

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:06pm
post #18 of 42

You didn't lose a customer. She already bought the cupcake and by asking for the recipe she did not have any attentions of coming back. She was trying to steal your business. Good for you!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:07pm
post #19 of 42

So I guess I'm going to be the only one to ask....

What's the recipe?

icon_lol.gif

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:10pm
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

So I guess I'm going to be the only one to ask....

What's the recipe?

icon_lol.gif

Ha! Love it! It's called Sugar Cookie Vanilla! It tastes like a sugar cookie but isn't overly sweet. icon_evil.gif

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 42

A good comeback might be sure.. the price for that recipe is $5000. I have one special recipe that my mom created for my birthday cake and made it only once a year. She finally gave it to me (I am 42) and I am not allowed to share it with anyone, including my siblings. Everyone at work loves it and know I will not share the recipe.. it is just one of those special things.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #22 of 42

Bugaboo_Bakery, lol, is that the recipe that's here in CC? What if that lunatic ex-customer is reading this? Maybe you shouldn't even had said the name of it!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:37pm
post #23 of 42

Here I'll share my secret recipe:

2 cups
1 cup
1 T
2 tsp

Mix. Bake. Eat. Enjoy!

haha! i know I'm teasing about secret recipes... but I'm really all for them. I don't like telling people about my cakes and all I use is WASC most the time.
That flavor sounds absolutely delicious! Be proud, you have something everyone wants! icon_smile.gif

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Bugaboo_Bakery, lol, is that the recipe that's here in CC? What if that lunatic ex-customer is reading this? Maybe you shouldn't even had said the name of it!

I seriously just paniked for a second. LOL I just went and looked at the recipe you are talking about and nope that isn't mine! Let's face it most cake recipes are all going to have pretty much the same ingredients but it those little touches we add that make them so different. icon_biggrin.gif

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:41pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Here I'll share my secret recipe:

2 cups
1 cup
1 T
2 tsp

Mix. Bake. Eat. Enjoy!

haha! i know I'm teasing about secret recipes... but I'm really all for them. I don't like telling people about my cakes and all I use is WASC most the time.
That flavor sounds absolutely delicious! Be proud, you have something everyone wants! icon_smile.gif

LOVE THIS!!!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:10pm
post #26 of 42

geez it's just unbelievable that an adult would act like such a spoiled brat.

Is she someone that shops regularly at the market?

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I don't know if she has been to the market before. I know it was her first and last treat from me. She scares me. LOL

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I don't know if she has been to the market before. I know it was her first and last treat from me. She scares me. LOL

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 42

when someone acts irrationally angry, I just say "Im sorry you're not feeliing well". It drives home the fact that something is going wrong in their life...and it has nothing to do with me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 9:49pm
post #30 of 42

And we wonder why we have spoiled brat, uncontrollable kids running around America these days...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%