Cake Stall (Venting)

Business By l_rock Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 5:44pm by Totally-Frosted

l_rock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_rock Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 10

I've just started up my own cake business,i haven't got a shopfront i just have a commerical kitchen (a bit like ace of cakes style),so i run a cupcake stall on the weekends to generate new business. i have some dmmy cake displays and portfolios for people to look through. i find the cup cake stall fun until i get the wanabe cake decorators and thier bitchy comments. they come up to the stall, try the tasters and tell me that they don't need to buy a cupcake because they do cakes too.they make comments and imply that i'm amiture because i'm at the markets. then they procede to try to pump me for information on my techniques. ..i know i shouldn't resent them,but why do they think i'm going to give training away for free! its one thing to come up and ask if i do classes it quite another to imply that i don't know what i'm doing and think that i'll be so greatful for their attention that i will hand over any information i have.
i'm running a business not a charity and while the setting they meet me isn't typical it doesn't mean that i'm not qualified or serious about what i do. thanks for letting me vent,this is the only place that i feel people understand what its like.

9 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:48am
post #2 of 10

I feel your pain. One of my hobbies is spinning and weaving. In my younger days, I used to set at festivals. You wouldn't believe how rude people can be - and they know everything (telling their children what I was doing - and getting it all wrong.) Just keep your chin up and keep working at your business. Eventually, you will be getting calls and will think of the cupcake stall as a past memory!!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:00am
post #3 of 10

The rudeness of people will never cease to amaze me. I say good luck to you and I hope you are very successful!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:12am
post #4 of 10

people are just mean, keep the faith thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #5 of 10

Congratulations on your new Business thumbs_up.gif

LOLLLL, oh yes, don't you just love how all the experts come out to bitch AFTER taking a FREE sample.
Honestly, its as tho they have never been fed or taught manners.
They are like *pigs at the trough*

Whilst they are standing there telling you how good their cup cakes are icon_rolleyes.gif instead of standing there listening and grinning through gritted teeth - turn around and make yourself look busy...even if it is shuffling things around....pretend to brush crumbs away.... but make yourself look busy.

A lady i know who owns a Business and has a stall at a Sunday Market got fed up with this exact same thing, so this is what she did (see below) - and it made her days at the markets much more enjoyable.

She kept the samples JUST out of reach.......
When people came up and started speaking and enquiring she straight away gauged as to whether they were going to be potential customers or just *pigs at the trough*.
Those who were polite and genuine she offered them a sample...
She said it was a great way to deal with the situation as she wasn't wasting samples and didn't have to listen to the crass comments.

Some may think it is a backward way to do Business but your not there to feed the unfed, and to listen to every expert who has made a cake.

Also, think about when you go into a shop of any kind - there isn't always a free sample to be had... so don't feel obligated to have freebies.

If you are confident about your product and you portray that, then people won't need a sample - you yourself will sell your cakes icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:31am
post #6 of 10

your cakes are amazing. Please don't let these people get you down. Won't they be suprised one day when they walk into your shop.. or pick up a cake ordered from you.

I have family members that act the very same way about what I have been doing with my business for 32 yrs. They act like I just started. It is so iritating on one hand when they order from other people yet very happy when they order from other people.

You are doing very well. You have convinced me to not do the farmers markets or the festivles.

Keep up the fantastic work.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

It is simply jealousy!! I had a stall at a local market/car boot for a couple of weekends and I had a couple of folks come over and say 'these are nice, I also bake, I make my own cupcakes' and then look at me for a response, at which point they get the look of 'oh right, that's nice' lol. I even had one guy come over and tell me that my cakes were lovely and that he should know because he is a chef, which might sound nice, but just the way he said it, like he was above me and he was giving me approval!
Some people are just rude, and you just have to grin and bear it, all the while not giving them a scrap of information!

Leikeilana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leikeilana Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 10

some people do say the darnedest things....we had a customer pick up a rich chocolate gateau. when she saw it her response...was oh! so this is just like any normal chocolate cake...its just normal......
icon_smile.gif My daughters nanny wanted to have a go with her.....lol! Little did she know we import our chocolates from overseas for this special cake.....we laughed it off, knowing she simply cant recognise quality if the cake she eats is from the supermarket.....
I hope you feel better, everyone and anyone can bake....the difference is quality...and Im sure yours in top of the list...icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 10

I_rock, you are talented. Stay at your stall and spend all the money you make. You really can't say anything back... this is business. I wish I could get in with my farmers markets.

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

A lady i know who owns a Business and has a stall at a Sunday Market got fed up with this exact same thing, so this is what she did (see below) - and it made her days at the markets much more enjoyable.

She kept the samples JUST out of reach.......
When people came up and started speaking and enquiring she straight away gauged as to whether they were going to be potential customers or just *pigs at the trough*.
Those who were polite and genuine she offered them a sample...
She said it was a great way to deal with the situation as she wasn't wasting samples and didn't have to listen to the crass comments.

Some may think it is a backward way to do Business but your not there to feed the unfed, and to listen to every expert who has made a cake.

Bluehue.

Bluehue, this is a very good tip. Thanks as I've been thinking of promoting my new business at our local flea market to get customers too. This is a very good idea!! This is why I love CC!!

Veronica

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%