Thinking Of Doing Cakes On The Side.

Business By Sweet_Cakes Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm by vgray

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all,

About a year ago, I was fired from my grocery store cake decorator position. (LONG STORY!!! Worked too hard and got sick...) Anyway, I now have a really good job working at a call center. I love my job and the benefits. However, I miss doing cakes. I was thinking about doing cakes on the side and seeing if I would be able to make any extra money.

I live in Tennessee and I'm not sure what the laws are here. Do you have to make so much money in order for it to be a "business"? Any ideas and suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks,

Jen

5 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 6

Check with your state to see if you have a Cottage Food Law in place first. If so, then get licensed and you can start selling! Otherwise you will not be legal.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 6

Here is some quick information I found on a quick search:
http://www.ehow.com/list_7226348_tennessee_s-domestic-home-bakery-regulations.html

You would also have to check with your town ordinances or county laws.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 12:18am
post #4 of 6

I had heard that if I don't have a restaurant quality sinks and fridges, I could be fined or closed for business. Is this true?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 6

The best people to get information from is your counties Health Department or Dept of Ag. They are after all the ones you would be dealing with if someone on here gave you incorrect information.

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 6

Tennessee does have a cottage foods law. The health department will come out and inspect your house. Some of the rules are all doors to the kitchen have to be closed while baking and decorating. Nothing else can be cooked while you are working on the cake (you can't cook dinner for the family while working on the cake) There are a few other rules. Here is some more information for you. http://homebasedbaking.com/rules-regulations/tennessee/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%