New To Fondant

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 9:14pm by De65

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!! icon_smile.gif I'm new here. I'm VERY interested in learning how to make cakes with fondant & how to decorate with fondant & butter cream icing. I am going to start taking Wilton classes soon.

I have been reading a lot online, but I have a question about the cake itself.

For fondant cakes... is there a certain recipe/special type of cake mix that you need for fondant? Or can you just use any kind of cake mix that is made from scratch or from the box?

I ask this because sometimes my cakes are so moist that they almost split in half. I'm worried this might mess my cakes up or will the fondant hold the cake together?

Also, about how much do Fondant cakes sell for? I know prices will depend on things like cost of supplies, where I live, how long it takes to make the cake, ect. But what are the average prices for fondant cakes?

Thank you!

1 reply
De65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
De65 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 2

Freeze your cake with a thin crumb coating of buttercream icing.
Apply the fondant to the frozen cake & decorate. ( :
you can always smooth out any hiccups with a wet hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britterfly

Hi everyone!! icon_smile.gif I'm new here. I'm VERY interested in learning how to make cakes with fondant & how to decorate with fondant & butter cream icing. I am going to start taking Wilton classes soon.

I have been reading a lot online, but I have a question about the cake itself.

For fondant cakes... is there a certain recipe/special type of cake mix that you need for fondant? Or can you just use any kind of cake mix that is made from scratch or from the box?

I ask this because sometimes my cakes are so moist that they almost split in half. I'm worried this might mess my cakes up or will the fondant hold the cake together?

Also, about how much do Fondant cakes sell for? I know prices will depend on things like cost of supplies, where I live, how long it takes to make the cake, ect. But what are the average prices for fondant cakes?

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%