Client Didn't Pay 2 Years Ago, Wants Another Cake!

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 7:50am by LisaPeps

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 72

She is actually a real sweetheart, and her parents catered my wedding, for free, we go to church together, though I am not in her clique. I have provided a few free cakes for her parents, and gave a HUGE discount on this cake, it was the sock monkey cake, Oh and Ah. I charged $30 for it, and would've charged $120 to anyone else. But I never got it.

It has literally been 2 years, it was her daughter's 2nd birthday, and now she is 4.

Do I say something? I want to! How do I say this without being w!tchy, or accusatory? I would like the $30, for principle's sake, but I want to do the cake this year.

71 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 72

Charge her full price for the cake, that should cover your $30 and more.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 72

What the? I was trying to edit!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 72

Dear so-and-so~
Thanks for thinking of me to do your little one's cake. I would really like to do this for you, but I'm not sure how to put this- the last time I made her a cake, you kind of forgot to reimburse me for it. I'm sure it was just an oversight, but you can see how I would hesitate with this one, especially since I had already discounted it quite a bit.

If you'd like me to do her cake, then I would be happy to put together some ideas for you, and I can just add the $30 from last time on the invoice. Payment will be due then 2 weeks before the cake.
Let me know if this works for you or if you'd like to go in another direction.

Sincerely,
Baker who is trying to be nice to someone who clearly needs to pay in advance on all future orders.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 72

I would just give her the total and tag the $30 on top of it...and if she asks you to go over the costs...I would itemize it all and say this $30 charge was the balance you had remaining from your last order. it's business plain and simple!!! Nobody would expect to walk into wal-mart and walk out without paying for a cake, so why would you expect to do that at a custom cake place??? People are insane!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 72

Do not mention the overdue bill.
Suggest some options of design and build into the price a minimun of $75-100 (bill plus interest).
And do MAKE SURE it is know that PAYMENT IS DUE 10 days before pickup.

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 72

Add the 30 dollars on to the new cake, and ask for money in advance for supplies.

shawna29xx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawna29xx Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 72

You should charge full price and require her to pay you upfront for the cake. She already knows the quality of work you do and after she try to shop around she will be willing to pay. After all it was two years ago and you have become a better baker since then. icon_wink.gif She knows she didn't pay you and probably hope you'll let it go again. Do not give her a discount! I have made the same mistake and believe me if you don't make them pay they will keep trying your patience. unless you want to make her a three teired sweet sixteen cake for $30 Lol icon_biggrin.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 72

I would let the past go.
She probably figures you would have said something by now, if it still mattered.

You could say or not say,
In the past your parents did a lot of really nice stuff for me and I did some great cakes for them.

But do say,
Lets figure out what this new cake is going to cost you.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 72

I just checked out your "Ooh and Ahh" picture and the description said it was a freebie.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 72

I agree to leave the past in the past. If it was really that important to collect the $30 two years ago, you probably would have collected it? I just don't think it would be "good" business to bring up something that happened that long ago.

Going forward, price her new cake without discount and require full payment in advance.

Good luck to you!

TSMarjorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSMarjorie Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 72

Well, I wouldn't not be in that situation. Larger cakes MUST be paid in full, cash, before I crack 1 egg. I have taken smaller cakes with me that have not been paid for . . . . icon_sad.gif

mlm

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I would just give her the total and tag the $30 on top of it...and if she asks you to go over the costs...I would itemize it all and say this $30 charge was the balance you had remaining from your last order. it's business plain and simple!!! Nobody would expect to walk into wal-mart and walk out without paying for a cake, so why would you expect to do that at a custom cake place??? People are insane!

I agree, leave it as a balance and be paid in advanced for the new cake (new company policy) My orders usually run with 50% down to hold order and 50% on pick up and if it is being delivered than It is up front 2 weeks prior to the event or it's not delivered! You have to look at it as a business, if you owed your electric company a pass due balance for one residence and needed service hooked up spmewhere else, would you expect them to say not to worry about it? They would let you know your balance and include that on your next bill. After 2 yrs thirty dollars is useless, but given she wants another add it to her bill.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I just checked out your "Ooh and Ahh" picture and the description said it was a freebie.

So, what? It "became" a freebie after I was not paid. It was not my intention, and she knows it. I flat out told them it was going to be $30, and how much it would have cost them.

I swear, I am so sick of people getting on here trying to play "Gotcha!" If you have nothing constructive to add, move on.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 72
Quote:

hmmmm.......good catch

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 72

just sayin'

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:23pm
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I think this will be what I do. I have a problem "calling people out" over some things, when they are sweeties. I do think it was an oversight. She may have thought her mom paid, and her mom probably thought the daughter paid. And they are well-off, but very generous.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Quote:

hmmmm.......good catch

icon_rolleyes.gif

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:38pm
post #19 of 72

If she's a nice person, the chances are it was just a slip up. It obviously is still bugging you, so you need to make a decision whether you want to confront it or not. As to this new cake, if she is not a super close friend I'd charge her full price, make sure you get a deposit and probably even full payment before you hand the cake over.
If you handle it all graciously then everybody walks away feeling good about it.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:50pm
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiefuncakes

If she's a nice person, the chances are it was just a slip up. It obviously is still bugging you, so you need to make a decision whether you want to confront it or not. As to this new cake, if she is not a super close friend I'd charge her full price, make sure you get a deposit and probably even full payment before you hand the cake over.
If you handle it all graciously then everybody walks away feeling good about it.

It does bug me, not because it is $30, that is nothing! It is the principle. It is money owed, and I want to be taken seriously.

That was basically the question, How do I handle this graciously?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:53pm
post #21 of 72

Are you still planning on giving them a discount?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:29am
post #22 of 72

I'd charge her full price, add the $30 on top of it unless you want to just write it off, and make sure you get paid in advance. If she says that she wants to pay you later, tell her that in the last two years you've had to change your payment policies because you've been stiffed on a few cakes, so you need to be paid in advance icon_lol.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:54am
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

It does bug me, not because it is $30, that is nothing! It is the principle. It is money owed, and I want to be taken seriously.

If you want to be taken seriously, take your business seriously and charge what you're worth today. Don't worry about what happened two years ago. Too much time has past. Lesson learned, time to move forward. Charge full price...no discounts and no excuses. And if she balks at the price...no cake.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:

If you want to be taken seriously, take your business seriously and charge what you're worth today. Don't worry about what happened two years ago. Too much time has past. Lesson learned, time to move forward. Charge full price...no discounts and no excuses. And if she balks at the price...no cake.

I agree! Make sure she knows that you will need full payment 2 weeks before she needs the cake or she will NOT be getting a cake.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #25 of 72
Quote:

Did you not read the entire description? Just in case you missed the part where she stated that she asked for $30 for supplies and never received it, here it is for you. geez

This was a freebie, (her Grandparents catered my wedding FOR FREE!) so I could do whatever I wanted! (Though I had asked for supplies, totalling $30, and was never paid) Covered in MMF, candy clay tree trunks, gumpaste leaves, buttercream stenciling, hand rolled fondant balls for border. Opera cream cake.

OP, I think I would do as suggested and price the new cake full price, no further discounts.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #26 of 72

Cakestyles,
You're right; I should have read the whole description.
I'm sorry for the misinformation I supplied.

(I'll skip my snack and go to bed hungry-promise.)

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:56am
post #27 of 72

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif If you're good we'll slip you a piece of cake after everyone falls asleep. lol

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:58am
post #28 of 72
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiefuncakes

At this point I think too much time has gone by for this to be handled in a manner that you desire. I say this because if it is about payment, why did you not try and collect a long time ago? Thus I am not entirely clear what principle you see at play here.

If it is about getting paid, why are you waiting until now to say something/collect? After two years, and only after they request another cake, you now want to collect? So if they had not requested another cake, you would not be trying to collect what you were owed? (This is what the description of the situation implies). This is why the situation is sticky, it does not seem to be about principle.

Honestly at this point I would say to let it go. It had not bothered you enough for the past two years to collect it. By your account they are nice generous people and this likely was an oversight--so treat it this way. No need to build in a $30 charge, just charge them the cost of the cake they order but get paid upfront.

If you want to avoid an uncomfortable situation the best way is just to let it go. If you truly believe they are good people, then no need to get them by building in a hidden cost.

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:05am
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

At this point I think too much time has gone by for this to be handled in a manner that you desire. I say this because if it is about payment, why did you not try and collect a long time ago? Thus I am not entirely clear what principle you see at play here.

If it is about getting paid, why are you waiting until now to say something/collect? After two years, and only after they request another cake, you now want to collect? So if they had not requested another cake, you would not be trying to collect what you were owed? (This is what the description of the situation implies). ..........
If you want to avoid an uncomfortable situation the best way is just to let it go. If you truly believe they are good people, then no need to get them by building in a hidden cost.

I didn't try to collect it because it got more and more awkward as time went by. And, no I wouldn't have tried if she hadn't ordered another one. I was asked to do one last year, but was booked.

And no, I would not feel right about hiding costs in the cake. That wouldn't be fair.

thecakediva40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakediva40 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:09am
post #30 of 72

Why would you wait two years and not tell them of the $30.00 owed? I bet you a dime against a dollar that they will not remember and think you are nuts for not mentioning then. I'd be a little upset that you are going to bring it to my attention now and expect me to pay it. Now, if you have proof if the charge, that would be different. ? Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%