Storing Isomalt Sugar Work On The Cake In The Fridge

Decorating By Dreme Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm by Dreme

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 4

I normally refrigerate my cakes in the fridge. I'm working on a double barrel cake that needs to be refrigerated but has some sugar work (beer bottles and ice) that has to go on it. How long can sugar work be in the fridge before it's affected? Does it just get sticky?

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 4

Unless you protect the isomalt work completely from the transition from warm to cold and cold to warm (boxed & fully wrapped), it will get sticky and it may deteriorate all together.

In all honesty, I won't refrigerate isomalt/sugar work at all, ever. It's too time consuming and costly to take the chance.

Rae

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 4

you really should not refrigerate that. However, if you use confectioner's glaze and cover your piece, you might get some time out of it, but I won't promise that!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies! We did a little bit of testing beforehand and the cake went out fine.

We put some of the isomalt ice and an extra beer bottle in the fridge overnight. They did perfectly fine while in the fridge. The ice came out unaffected while the bottle did have a bit of a sticky sheen to it. After sitting out for awhile the bottle returned to its original tact. We did wait till the last couple of hours before the cake went out to put all the sugar work on it. It was only in there about an hour. Everything looked fine when it went out.

Also was wondering if the type of fridge matters. Ours is on the dryer side. Very cold but dry like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%