How Reliable Is Mm Fondant? Please Help!

Decorating By bakinhoney1980 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 12:57am by gatorcake

bakinhoney1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinhoney1980 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 15

I have an order for a 4-tiered square wedding cake done in fondant (I recommended Marshmallow for the taste) and they want scrollwork done on the front of the cake from top to bottom. I am pretty new at cake decoration especially using fondant and I want to know if marshmallow fondant will hold up and not bleed if I do buttercream scrollwork on the front.

I have so many questions and concerns about this. I live in Louisiana. The current temp is 100 and it is so humid you suffocate. I just don't know enough about fondant and its reliability. Can you do buttercream designs on the cake and have it hold up?

I have a second option of doing some fondant or gumpaste cutouts and adhering them to the cake. I am leaning towards this process b/c it allows me freedom from scrollwork.

Please, anyone give me some advice!

14 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 15

I used to use MMF exclusively because I liked the taste, however in the summer I buy SatinIce fondant because it seems to hold up better in the humidity.

MMF is fine, but it's very "stretchy" to work with so if you're not used to that you may have problems covering the larger square tiers.

Also in my experience with it, it doesn't do well in the refrigerator. It seems to "sweat" and get "glossy" looking when you take it out of the fridge.

I think if it were me, I'd use SatinIce fondant or some other brand that you can get (not Wilton)

As far as the scrollwork on top of the MMF, it'll be ok as long as the MMF doesn't "sweat" and in LA humidity that is probably going to be an issue for you.

But, in the cooler months I have used MMF with BC scrollwork without any problems.

bakinhoney1980 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 15

I just don't like the pliability of Satin Ice. Everyone else raves about it, but I must be missing something. Every time I use the stuff I end up with tears and cracks like crazy. If there are things you can add to help, I am all for listening!

What do you think of the possibility of covering and decorating the day before the wedding and just leaving out of the fridge. Are there any problems with that idea? I would think the MM fondant would protect the cake from drying out.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 15

I use only use MMF and haven't had issues. Also, I'd suggest using royal for the scroll work instead of BC. HTH.

Karen

sabileos1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabileos1 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 15

I only use mmf unless I need a color like red or black then I use duff.... I've never had a problem with it..and ive been taught to leave Fondant out and never put it in the fridge. Even if it had a fruit filling or what not...the Fondant works as a shield it won't go bad. And all my cakes have been made the day before the party and they were good as new!

bakinhoney1980 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 15

Wow, let me now say how much I love cake central! Thanks so much for the replies. I believe that I will cover them the day before and just skip refrigeration. The idea to use royal instead of BC is also great.

Thanks so much!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 15

I made MFF fondant (michele foster's fondant) for my most recent cake (I'll upload it shortly, black and white engagement), it was an absolute dream to work with. I made the recipe with white chocolate added to it and it was the best fondant I've ever used.

Maybe you could give that recipe a try? I much prefer it to MMF which I find sometimes has pock marks in it because it is stretchy rather than smooth and elastic.

I agree with PP royal icing would be better than buttercream as the buttercream could melt but RI dries solid.

cakesbyk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyk2 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 15

I only use MMF as fondant. I love it. I have also tried Michelle Foster"s and it is good also. The only time I use store bought fondant is if it is a huge cake and/or pressed for time. HTH

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 15

I agree with Lisa on the MFF.

I primarily use MMF, but I live in Lancaster, PA and the humidity here is ridiculous too and the MMF just does not hold up very well. It sweats and melts and just adds extra stress if you ask me. I am not comletely sold on the MFF because I think it is a pain to make and I did have some issues with it being sticky or drying out, but all in all it is better in the humidity.

Good luck!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 15

I used to use MFF because the taste, texture and workability are unbeatable. But it is more of a pain to make, and more expensive. So I save that for special cakes and use MMF for everyday. I have no problems working with MMF and find it tasty and well suited to the job (I use MacsMoms recipe which includes glycerin. I think this improves its workability and stability greatly) The only problem I have with MMF in heat is that when you slice the cake, it tends to be to marshmallowy and resists a clean cut, stretching and pulling away from the slice of cake as you cut. For a wedding, I'd rather use MFF which has a more solid texture that cuts cleanly and easily, resulting in nice presentable slices.

cakestyles Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinhoney1980

Wow, let me now say how much I love cake central! Thanks so much for the replies. I believe that I will cover them the day before and just skip refrigeration. The idea to use royal instead of BC is also great.

Thanks so much!

As long as you're not using any perishable icings or fillings, skipping refrigeration is fine.

But if you're using fresh fruits, custards or mousse fillings the MMF will not protect the cake, you'll still need to refrigerate.

I'm not a fan of MFF, I had a problem with it being too dry and had to add a bunch of shortening/glycerin to get it to a good working consistency. The one positive about her recipe is that it does make a lot of fondant, but as artscallion said, it's sort of a pain to make compared to MMF.

SatinIce has been VERY inconsistent lately. I always buy it if I need dark colors, like black or red but sometimes it's hard and sometimes it's sticky. I'm not sure what the issue is with that company, but I wish they'd get their recipe consistent.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 15

I've tried both MMF and MFF and I like Michelle's recipe MUCH better! I just covered my 1st square cake yesterday with it and had no problems http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2103378/2103446 I usually precolor my batch with 2 different colors (half and half) while making it. I can still tweak the final color when making the cake, but it's much easier this way.

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 15

Hi, I live in Pittsburgh and have had trouble with fondant in the heat and humidity. This summer I broke down and bought the Mass Ticino made for tropical climates. I tested it outside for hours . I also tested fondirific. The fondirific was greasy and melty and the Massa got crusty but held its shape. I used it on two pool party cakes and it looked great!! It was not too expensive except you have to buy a lot of it!! I have one more pool party cake in August! I am so happy because I was about to give up!! I used Satin Ice a couple years ago in the summer for an indoor event and it did not hold up for me!!!

cakestyles Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:41am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanda

Hi, I live in Pittsburgh and have had trouble with fondant in the heat and humidity. This summer I broke down and bought the Mass Ticino made for tropical climates. I tested it outside for hours . I also tested fondirific. The fondirific was greasy and melty and the Massa got crusty but held its shape. I used it on two pool party cakes and it looked great!! It was not too expensive except you have to buy a lot of it!! I have one more pool party cake in August! I am so happy because I was about to give up!! I used a couple years ago in the summer for an indoor event and it did not hold up for me!!!

Since the main ingredient in fondant is sugar and sugar does break down in the heat and humidity....I wonder what is in the Massa fondant that it doesn't melt. Is it synthetic?

Now I'm curious...off to research. lol

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #15 of 15

Joining with other PA residents, I recently made MMF and found it did not hold up well to humidity. I used it to make some fondant decos and found them sticky and gummy the following morning. I ended up covering the cakes with Duff's fondant which held up nicely. And I want to be clear MMF decos were never put in the fridge

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%