Please Help: Crusting

Decorating By cakeaholic_cakery Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 4:24pm by divinecc

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 8

I used a crusting cream cheese frosting and covered my cake last night, hoping it would have a nice crust this morning so I could cover it with fondant after work this evening... It didn't crust! The cake was at room temperature when I covered it - It is too late to make new frosting... I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the storms rolling through here (humidity up the wa-zoo)... but at any rate, is there anything I can do to save this cake? I did search the forums and read to put the cake in the freezer, but I'm concerned that when it comes back to room temperature it will be so full of condensation that it won't crust properly... suggestions? ideas?... am I totally screwed?

Thanks!

7 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 8

I would put it in the fridge and cover it when the frosting is cold and solid. After you cover it, let it come to room temperature. If it starts to sweat, just leave it alone don't touch it (no matter how tempting it may be) the condensation will evaporate and your cake will be fine.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 8

You could try to fridge for just about 30 minutes or so.
However, I am not an expert, but I think the fondant would stick ok even if the icing isn't crusted. I've heard of people putting fondant on before the icing crusts.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 8

I'm not sure exactly, but I can say that as the humidity has gotten worse here, I've had issues with crusting. Can you maybe make another smaller batch and put another thin coat on?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

I would not put it in the freezer.

The best thing you can do, I think is put it in front of a fan.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 8

I'm unclear as to why you need it to crust before covering it with fondant. The only time I use crusting buttercream is it my cake will not be covered with buttercream and I want the crust to make the finish less susceptible to damage.

When I cover a cake with fondant, I want the buttercream to be firm (chilled) but uncrusted so the fondant has something to stick to, otherwise it can sag. Even if I do use a crusting buttercream under fondant, I wet it before placing the fondant on.

Am I missing something here?

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for the replies - appreciate it!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 8

I put my fondant right over non crusting cream cheese BC all the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%