Preserving Fondant On Dummy Cake For Display

Decorating By bmac0130 Updated 7 Jan 2013 , 2:45pm by mmmcake0072

bmac0130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmac0130 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 10

Hey. So I am making a cake that will be used for display in a restaurant, so I will covering styrofoam with fondant. But do I need to preserve the fondant in any way, such as spraying it with something, in order to keep it from going bad or turning colors or getting mold or anything else that may happen??? thanks!

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #2 of 10

No, just keep it out of direct light (both sun & artificial), heat, or humidity.

It will last a long time, but nothing lasts forever. It will, eventually crack or fade, but if you do as directed above, that could take a year.

Rae

thecakeladyllc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeladyllc Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 10

I made a fondant covered wedding cake as a display for a Wedding Show.  I then brought it back and placed it in my shop as a display.  I had not sprayed it with any type of preserver.  After a couple of months, I noticed that ants had discovered the cake.  That was the end of the display!  

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 10

Just spritz it with ant spray.  seriously.

thecakeladyllc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeladyllc Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 10

No, seriously, I would not spray it with ant spray.  My point is that fondant is a sugar based material that will attract little critters.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:45am
post #6 of 10

As has been mentioned nothing is needed unless you have a problem w/ants.  Usually after a few months (up to a yr) you will want to change the style.  If it is being displayed in a resturant it might get touched a lot &/or pick up discoloration from all the cooking so don't get too upset if it only lasts a few months.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 6:29am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakeladyllc 

No, seriously, I would not spray it with ant spray.  My point is that fondant is a sugar based material that will attract little critters.  

Why not? It's not going to be eaten, and spray would keep the ants off it, sugar based or not.

Sabrina Cupid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabrina Cupid Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:20am
post #8 of 10

ASpray the Fondant with clear varnish. They have a dull sheen so it won't make it shiny. But the varnish will seal in the smell and prevent it from cracking. It will still fade.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 10

AMy dummy cakes are in a case never touched by customers. I DO spray them with ant spray when needed. It poses no problem.

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 10

AI just recently had a florist tell me that she has a display cake ...dummy cake....that is covered with fondant that is a few years old that she just sprayed it with spray paint. She is supposed to bring it by today, she wants me to make the flowers for it...I guess we'll see how it looks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%