40-50 Ppl

Decorating By KakesByKelley Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 1:53pm by sweetviolet

KakesByKelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesByKelley Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:03am
post #1 of 10

I am making a three tiered wedding cake and she has requested it be enough for 40-50 people, give or take, but she wants the top layer to be saved for their anniversary. What size cake pans should I use? I am new to the business and don't want to mess up right out of the gate. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

9 replies
sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 10

Hi! I have an old decorating book and I use the serving guide that they provide. I think tiered cakes are usually 3" difference between each tier, but mine are usually just two. I personally wouldn't go any smaller than a 6" for a top tier. According to this book an 8" serves 30 and a 10" serves 48, when cut in the traditional wedding cake style. I usually do a 10", 8", 6" that gives you way more servings than you need but I wouldn't do a 4" 6" 8" either because that only equals 46 servings according to my book......Well anyway, I hope this helped or at least helped you get started. I'm sure you'll get some better replies with links to cutting and serving guides but.....in case you don't you have this! icon_smile.gif

VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:21am
post #3 of 10

So is the top layer extra, ie 40-50 people plus the top layer?

KakesByKelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesByKelley Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:24am
post #6 of 10

@sweetviolet: Thanks, that was helpful! I was kind of leaning towards those sizes but I wanted a second opinion.

@VeronicaLuis: The top tier isn't counted because she wants to save that for their anniversary. And thanks for the link!

VeronicaLuis Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #7 of 10

good luck with your cake

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #8 of 10

There are always going to be times that we cannot match the serving request. When that happens you give the bride the choice of what is closest - as an example say you come up w/a combination that yields 54 servings OR another combination that serves 46. Let the customer pick which one.
Also, gently inform bride that it's always nice to have a bit more as leftovers are usually fun to have!
Just be sure to charge for all the servings the cake yields NOT what the want.

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:14am
post #9 of 10

Another option is to use a dummy tier to achieve the look you're after icon_smile.gif

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 10

@ KakesbyKelley: My serving count did not include the top layer, although in the book it says a 6" rounds serves 16. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%