Cake Structure..

Decorating By Caroiseaux Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 11:24pm by Caroiseaux

Caroiseaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caroiseaux Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys! I want to know: Why in USA, some bakers make the layers of cake most thin with more layers of buttercream than in North America, the bakers put a more bigger layer of cake, a thin to medium layer of buttercream and a last layer of cake? For make a sculpted cake, that is better? More stable? Or is just a way for layering a cake?

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroiseaux

Hi guys! I want to know: Why in USA, some bakers make the layers of cake most thin with more layers of buttercream than in North America, the bakers put a more bigger layer of cake, a thin to medium layer of buttercream and a last layer of cake? For make a sculpted cake, that is better? More stable? Or is just a way for layering a cake?

USA is in North America. I think that's a generalized statement... bakers everywhere have their own personal preference to use torted layers with extra fillings or typical 2" tall layers filled once. For sculpted cakes, it's certainly more stable to carve more solid cake than to attempt to carve slippery fillings and icing.

Caroiseaux Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 5

Lol yes I want mean Canada and USA. Sorry for my bad english! Yes, probably, thank for your comment.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 5

Are you talking about "torting" a cake? When you tort a cake you take one cake, cut it in half (horizontally) and fill it, then take another cake and do the same, then put them on top of each other with filling in between This way you end up with 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. If this is what you are talking about, I believe that people do this for no other reason than it looks "prettier", especially at weddings. Or maybe because they want more filling in their cake. As far a structure, I think it makes it less stable and I would recommend two cake and one layer of filling.

Caroiseaux Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Joyfullysweet! Yes, It's what I talking about icon_smile.gif Ok thank!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%