Need To Bounce This Idea Off Of Someone!

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 6:38pm by poohsmomma

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 8

I have a baby shower cake due for a friend in a couple of weeks and I am a little stuck. Any advice would be helpful.

2 tiered cake the bottom tier would be covered in pink butter-cream with stripes of fondant covering it, the colors would be different shades and widths of pink and green. Then I was thinking making some gum-paste baby blocking spelling out Welcome Baby Olivia and using that to circle each tier so that would solve my border issue. Then I would have little fondant and gum paste flowers and butterflies all over the cake. The baby blocks would be white, pink and green.

I am a little stuck on the second tier which would be covered in fondant not sure what color yet. If i should do polka dots or just leave it a simple covered fondant tier. Since there would so much already going on the cake. What do yall think?

7 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 8

You do already have a lot going on... I would make it solid green or solid white... I think it will be really pretty though!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, green w/a very few b'flies and flowers scattered around.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 8

IMO - I would go for solid white with a few butterflies or flowers on it just to tie the tiers together.

asiancakes10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asiancakes10 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 8

i am just starting to research baby shower cakes now for my niece and found this idea on cc http://cakecentral.com/gallery/336773 it has pastel coloured buttons looks very cool, hope it helps

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 8

Keep it simple on top. One thing that really gets me is these cakes that have this fantastic work but are so cluttered up you can't focus on any one thing.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 8

What about doing it something like this
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2083757/

using pink on tier 1 with pink, yellow and green stripes and then using yellow or green on top tier. You could do the polka dots in all the colors. Then put the baby blocks on top to announce Olivia's welcome.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 8

I'm with these guys...Stripes and flowers and butterflies-all on the bottom tier seems a little busy. Maybe just the stripes on the bottom and use the same colors with a few flowers on the top tier. I recently did a cake in those same colors with stripes on the bottom tier and dots on the top tier. Here's how it looked (just ignore the giant cupcake on top)

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2068977

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%