Help Please!!!

Decorating By shadow01 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 3:44pm by carmijok

shadow01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow01 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 20

Help please!!!
I have been asked to make a Red Velvet Cake for a wedding cake. I need to have this cake ready at least 2 days before the wedding for pick up.
I am a traditionalist, and think that Red Velvet isn't the same without cream cheese frosting, but I am concerned about it going bad....
Is there an alternative to cream cheese frosting that I can use, that tastes just as nice, but will keep for the duration.
Oh and the cake will be fondant covered by the way. Thanks icon_smile.gif

19 replies
MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 20

Can you go with an American Buttercream with cream cheese flavoring?

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 20

I made a RV cake for a shower one time. Instead of Cream Cheese icing/filling, I used IndyDebi's buttercream and used 2 T vanilla and 1 T almond extract, very close if you ask me! lol I couldn't find cream cheese extract anywhere and everyone just loved it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 20

Earlene Moore has a cr ch b'cream that can be left unrefrigerated for up to a week. Check out her site. http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 20

FYI - I have heard bad things about cream cheese icing and fondant - some kind of reaction. I haven't tried it myself, but you may want to look it up.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 20

Edna De La Cruz has a crustig cream cheese recipe on her website designmeacake.com that works great with fondant & tastes yummy!

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 20

I'm surprised how many people think that cream cheese is traditional. It is not. We southerners have always used Heirloom frosting.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahrah

I'm surprised how many people think that cream cheese is traditional. It is not. We southerners have always used Heirloom frosting.

Yes, the cream cheese is so untraditional with red velvet, and I'm not a southerner, but I know about it because every time someone wants to top a red velvet with cream cheese frosting, the southerners will always say it's a no-no.

Now, Heirloom frosting (the traditional way to top a red velvet) is non-perishable, right? Could the OP use that?

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #9 of 20

I have to say I'm from Texas and my husband is from Georgia and we live in Virginia. Both our families and all my friends top red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. I have never had it any other way.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 2:49am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow01

Help please!!!
I have been asked to make a Red Velvet Cake for a wedding cake. I need to have this cake ready at least 2 days before the wedding for pick up.
I am a traditionalist, and think that Red Velvet isn't the same without cream cheese frosting, but I am concerned about it going bad....
Is there an alternative to cream cheese frosting that I can use, that tastes just as nice, but will keep for the duration.
Oh and the cake will be fondant covered by the way. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Is there a reason you can't keep this cake in the refrigerator? You can refrigerate a fondant covered cake. Box it and wrap in clear wrap or a garbage bag, making sure all the air is out. When ready to deliver take out of the fridge and let it come to room temp while still wrapped. Even if there is some condensation on the fondant it will dry. Your cake won't dry because it's covered with frosting and fondant.

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #11 of 20

Sure, a lot of people have never had it any other way. Cream cheese frosting is very common now. I just have read a lot of food history books and those books say that grandmas didn't use cream cheese but a cooked frosting. I really don't care because I'd rather have the cream cheese frosting.

I once saw the owner of Magnolia's make this with Martha Stewart on TV. I have Magnolia's cupcakes all the time, but I've always thrown out the frosting, so I don't know if it's good or bad.

In any case, this is the "authentic" frosting, if the OP is interested. It has dairy, but it's cooked.

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/red-velvet-cake-with-authentic-frosting/

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:33am
post #12 of 20

I used to work at Costco, we didn't refrigerate cream cheese icing and it is made with real cream cheese. Also, (don't believe me) but I heard that the sugar plus the beating makes icing with things like cream cheese last outside the fridge.

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:51am
post #13 of 20

Do I dare ask what is Heirloom Frosting? I live in Colorado and have never heard of it. I always have had cream cheese frosting with RV. Is there a difference?

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:19am
post #14 of 20

Heirloom Frosting...I have made this and I add a touch of powdered sugar to sweeten it up a bit.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15740/heirloom-frosting

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 20

I make may Heirloom with water instead of milk and use a little more vanilla. The result is the same (smooth, fluffy white icing) but I remove all doubt about refrigeration this way. Like SherryCanary, I too have added powdered sugar at the end to sweeten / stiffen the icing some. The grit from the powdered sugar also disappears so it stays smooth.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:22pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShandraB

FYI - I have heard bad things about cream cheese icing and fondant - some kind of reaction. I haven't tried it myself, but you may want to look it up.

We don't use cream cheese icing under fondant, only buttercream...with cream cheese icing as a base, fondant is not as stable as with buttercream.

shadow01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow01 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:31am
post #17 of 20

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I would love to try the cream cheese recipe kakeladi posted, but have no idea where I would be able to get butavan.
I don't think it's readily available here in Australia. Well nowhere I have looked anyway.

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:48am
post #18 of 20

It says in a few places that it is just a flavoring? Vanilla and butter?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-264373-.html&sid=ef43131c7712ae249a9a6d13e3174351

Maybe you can ask someone if you can substitute.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:07am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahrah

I grew up in Alabama, never been any further north than Tennessee and have never, repeat never, had Red Velvet Cake with anything other than cream cheese frosting (except for when someone bought one from WalMart and it had that nasty flavored Cream Cheese Frosting).

The only difference in recipes for the cream cheese frosting from cook to cook was whether they used sour cream or butter in it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:44pm
post #20 of 20

This is an interesting forum off of CC from 2006 regarding butavan and a recipe for homemade butavan as well more info about it.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-43777-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%