This Is Somewhat..awkward...

Business By ConfectionsCC Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 1:53am by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 17

First time this has happened, but I had someone email me today for a price quote...the picture she sent me was from another home baker! I know how much this woman charges...but I honestly do not know if I feel okay giving her a quote for this other woman's cake! And, I do not do simple sheet cakes, my cakes are geared towards a more high-end market. Should I decline her business and send her to the original cake designer in our area? I am not the shady type who will under cut another hard working bakers prices just to earn business! What should I do?

16 replies
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 17

Do it in a professional business way. Either quote her based on YOUR pricing, regardless of the other bakers pricing or simply tell her you are booked that day or can't do her cake.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 17

If you don't feel comfortable doing the cake, then I wouldn't do it. However, think of it this way....most of the time, if a bride brings a photo of a cake that she wants, or wants something similar to, that is someone else's cake. In the end you'll more than likely be making it your own in some way, no matter how small, and you won't be doing it exactly like the other baker does. JMHO.

shugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shugga Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 17

Go with your gut. This customer is shopping for a price and your intuition is already telling you what you need to do. Let the original home baker know this customer has approached you looking for the same cake they have designed. Then let this person know that you're busy or won't be able to do it. It will probably save you unknown headaches down the road, and will let the other home baker know what this person is up to.

catalissacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catalissacakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 17

that is really considerate of you & I would probably feel terrible about it- but at the same time it is true that you'll be baking someone elses cake unless it's her own design. Just tell her what you would charge in all honesty. You're not doing anything wrong.................

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 17

She found a cake she likes and wants someone to replicate it... does it really matter WHO did it? If someone sent me a photo of a Colette Peters cake, I wouldn't refer her to Colette for her cake.

I would ignore the fact that it was made by someone you know and just give her a quote based on your standard pricing. If what you charge is higher than the other baker, you might be doing that baker a favor by quoting more for the same design - and she will get the business anyway.

shugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shugga Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

She found a cake she likes and wants someone to replicate it... does it really matter WHO did it? If someone sent me a photo of a Colette Peters cake, I wouldn't refer her to Colette for her cake.

I would ignore the fact that it was made by someone you know and just give her a quote based on your standard pricing. If what you charge is higher than the other baker, you might be doing that baker a favor by quoting more for the same design - and she will get the business anyway.

The difference is that she KNOWS the other baker. What if you were the other home baker that came up with this creation. You can never go wrong when working with integrity.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

And, I do not do simple sheet cakes, my cakes are geared towards a more high-end market.

I've been wondering about a nice way to word this myself. When we can start selling, I really don't want to be doing simple sheet cakes. I work have a full-time non-caking job with a lot of overtime, so I won't won't have a need (or really a want) to land every request that comes my way. I spent a while working up a few designs and figuring out pricing for an ex-coworker's son's 18th bday cake and she answers back that they are really creative, but she's now thinking they want something simple (aka cheaper) like a plain rectangle cake with the image on top. I gave her both my cheaper and my more detailed options already. Cost wise, her "simple" cake wouldn't be much less than my cheaper option. I've been trying to think of way to word that I can't compete with price of grocery store style designs without sounding condescending or uppity. I make free cakes for our local non-profit and close family friends - which I don't mind. I love doing things for the non-profit and for my family. However, I won't want to give up my nights to make free cakes or earn next to nothing on other people's cakes.

WykdGud Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 17

So there's a proximity issue when dealing with cake copying? BAH! If I knew someone locally and they copied one of my designs for one of their customers, I could care less... Both people being in the same business understand that it's just business, and it's just a cake. If the OP isn't trying to copy someone else and UNDERCUT and steal business from them, then there's no harm done.

I still think she should quote her fee, and perhaps the customer will go with the other baker (who did the original cake) realizing what a great deal she's getting.

WykdGud Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

And, I do not do simple sheet cakes, my cakes are geared towards a more high-end market.

I've been wondering about a nice way to word this myself. When we can start selling, I really don't want to be doing simple sheet cakes. I work have a full-time non-caking job with a lot of overtime, so I won't won't have a need (or really a want) to land every request that comes my way. I spent a while working up a few designs and figuring out pricing for an ex-coworker's son's 18th bday cake and she answers back that they are really creative, but she's now thinking they want something simple (aka cheaper) like a plain rectangle cake with the image on top. I gave her both my cheaper and my more detailed options already. Cost wise, her "simple" cake wouldn't be much less than my cheaper option. I've been trying to think of way to word that I can't compete with price of grocery store style designs without sounding condescending or uppity. I make free cakes for our local non-profit and close family friends - which I don't mind. I love doing things for the non-profit and for my family. However, I won't want to give up my nights to make free cakes or earn next to nothing on other people's cakes.

Do steak houses apologize for not selling 99 cent hamburgers like McDonald's?

If someone asks if you do sheetcakes, just say you do not and refer them to your website or email them back the options you DO offer - or say "I do custom cakes and my prices start at $X/serving". There is no explanation necessary.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 17

If it is in a style that you don't do, you mentioned it being a sheet cake, then tell her that you can't do that style of cake, but if she can tell you what she's looking for you will design her a cake that you can do, to fit it.

As far as her bringing you a picture of a cake, I don't see this any different than someone I was doing a cake for picking one off of CC and wanting me to do a cake like it. As always you don't have to do the cake exactly as posted, but really if you don't want any of your cakes recreated by others, then don't post them on the internet.

The only time I would have a problem with it, is if she is trying to get you to do the same cake but charge less for it.

ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks ya'll! I emailed her back stating that although I do not do the typical sheet cake, I can do a layered cake and would just need to know the serving size to be able to give her a price quote! The original cake lady is only 7 minutes down the road, and its one of her most popular baby shower cakes, but FAR from HER design! She will most likely go with the cheaper option, but here it goes, IM LEARNING TO GROW A PAIR STILL hahaha!! My hubby picks on me that im too soft and I should stop wanting everyone's approval LOL!

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 17

Could have been that same lady trying to figure out if she is charging enough for her own work. I've seen just about everything by now, to not be surprised if that was the case.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:06am
post #14 of 17

It has always been my experience to go with what lets you sleep at night. If you develop a set of moral codes and your conscience tells you something isn't right...you need to follow your moral code...irregardless of what others think you should do. You are the one that has to sleep with your decision.

ConfectionsCC Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:26am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

It has always been my experience to go with what lets you sleep at night. If you develop a set of moral codes and your conscience tells you something isn't right...you need to follow your moral code...irregardless of what others think you should do. You are the one that has to sleep with your decision.

thumbs_up.gif AMEN! This girl has not emailed me back yet so maybe she just decided to go with the other baker!! I think the other cake lady IS cheaper, but like I said, she does more sheet cakes which are better than what I could do, I do more custom work, carved cakes ect...and I am better at those! She sales more cakes to make a buck, I sell fewer to make a few bucks off one LOL! Maybe one day she will ask me to combine our biz and tackle the world with cakes for everyone icon_rolleyes.gif LOL!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:22am
post #16 of 17

Ditto cabecakes!

But adding to that...

I'm wondering if I'm a not-too-savvy businessperson here, because my immediate response would be complete and absolute honesty. Something along the lines of: "Oh! I see you have a photo of Susie-Neighbor-Baker's cake. That's one of her regular designs. Have you contacted her for a quote? You might consider doing so, if you have your heart set on this exact design. Like I said, Susie-Neighbor-Baker does this design often and does a great job with it. But if you'd rather have the concept interpreted into a tiered (sculpted, whatever) cake, I'm your gal."

Maybe I'm just too honest for my own good. I'd have no problem telling the customer why. I don't see how directly addressing the fact that the customer brought a pic of the other baker's cake could be bad - especially if you kept your comments about the other baker positive.

It's also a sort of non-confrontational way of calling the customer on it if they were just trying to get it cheaper from you.

I know you've already answered the customer.... Just had to throw in my two cents.

ConfectionsCC Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:53am
post #17 of 17

Well, she did contact me back with her date and serving size so I gave her a quote of $75! I know that the sheet cake in the picture was only about $45...so we will see what she chooses to go with icon_smile.gif I am not going to tell her to go to the other baker, for all I know she is mortal enemies with that woman LOL! (I sure hope not, but you never know!) Or, maybe she has had her cakes in the past and did not care for them! What ever the reason, I am sticking to my guns about the types of cakes I do, and I will give quotes for those cakes and those cakes alone like it or not! icon_razz.gif I do not NEED anyone's business, I am not in caking for them money, rather the love for sugar is what draws me in!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%