Icing Help

Decorating By sholliebaby76 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 3:49am by cakification

sholliebaby76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sholliebaby76 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 7

I am sorry if this has been asked and I cant find it being a newbie here.... but I have an icing recipe from my mother who once years and years ago owned a cake and candy shop, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 shortening, 1/2 milk, almond or vanilla etc waht you want... well in her mixes it works GREAT. My hubby and myself have been wanting a Kitchen Aid mixer and finally got my lime green one... wellllll low and behold, icicng is not workingout wll for me... wayyyyyy to runny and then next batch I read online somewhere to use less milk I did and it was thick and clumpy! I am at a lost.. anyone had this happen or can help point me where I need to look or be!

Thanks for all replies I truly appericate the help here!!!

Shelly

6 replies
Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 7

If it's runny, you've added too much liquid. If it's thick and clumpy, you need more liquid. You have to add liquid little by little until you get the consistency you want.

1/2 cup mild is waaaay too much liquid for 4 C. powdered sugar.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:20am
post #3 of 7

Your recipe gives a very small yield. For your KA at least double it and let it mix on lowest speed for as much as 10 minutes.
There are many, many wonderful b'cream icing recipes on this site. Go to the "recipe" forum and look for them.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:25am
post #4 of 7

Shelly, it sounds like your proportions are off. Try 1/2c. shortening, 1/2c. butter, 4c PS, 1tsp flavored extracts and 2-4 Tbsp milk. If using your KA mixer, use the white paddle, not the wire whip, and beat on speed 1. If it is too thick, add milk 1/2 tsp at a time until desired consistency. HTH icon_smile.gif

sholliebaby76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sholliebaby76 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:39am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the advice yall.. I am making another ake this week for my mothers and fathers bday 1 day apart so I will def try these tips. The one that was thicker I did add a little more milk seemed ok but after was on cake and about 3 hours later the icing was sliding kinda and made a big bump when the two layers meet.. I know all my terms of what is what is OFF I am loving the working with this stufff but I wanna learn and do it the right way if that makes sense

batterupcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batterupcakery Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #6 of 7

Throw that recipe out & try this one. icon_wink.gif.........I have tried a ton of icing recipes for my business & this one is THE WINNER! I double it when I make it. It's quick, easy, delicious & comes out perfect. It also smooths down beautifully with Viva paper towels. Good luck!

1 1/2 cups shortening
5 TBLS. Heavy Whipping Cream
4 TBLS. Half & half
1 tsp. vanilla flavor
1 tsp. butter flavor
1/2 tsp. salt
2 lbs. powdered sugar

Beat Shortening until creamy. In a bowl, mix the milks, flavors & salt, then add to shortening. *BE SURE & COVER MIXER WITH A TOWEL* Start mixing slowly to avoid too much splatter, then gradually increase speed & mix until creamy. Add powdered sugar all at once(DON'T FORGET TO COVER MIXER WITH A TOWEL AGAIN) & mix thoroughly.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #7 of 7

Your recipe sounds very much like the "class buttercream" they teach you during the Wilton classes. Maybe research that recipe to make sure your proportions are correct.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%