How Do I Get The Tie Dye Effect W/o An Airbrush?

Decorating By aubasmif Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 4:36pm by MissJezabelle

aubasmif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubasmif Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 8

I have a customer who wants a cake with tie dye effects but I don't have an airbrush. I have used the Wilton spray can stuff but not a big fan. Can anyone give me some ideas and tips on how to do this. Thanks!!

7 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:00am
post #2 of 8

What about sponging the color onto fondant. This would allow you to blend two or more colors together to get a whispy look. Or you could try Duff's Grafitti spray color. Might work better than Wilton?

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 8

I paint on my cakes all the time. Half of them have painted "texture" and artwork ... easy and fun. Use gel colors plus a bit of vodka to make sure it dries. HTH!

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:28am
post #4 of 8

I used modelling chocolate to make a watermelon rind, which is kind of tye dyed with two greens.
You could try doing it with different colours, I would twist your colours together then roll it out, practice first to see what works.
C

DolceDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DolceDreams Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 8

Use three or four different colors of fondant. Choose one color as a base color and roll that into a sausage width log. Do the same with the accent colors, only making them 1/4 to 1/3 the width. (Think sausage width for base color, string cheese or smaller width for accents). Align all your logs of color side by side and twist all together a few times. Now that you have one multicolored rope, form in into a "z" shape and roll it into a log. Repeat this one time, then roll out. The marbled fondant will have a very tie dye appearance. Sorry, if it is difficult to understand, I explained the best I could! HTH good luck icon_wink.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:23am
post #6 of 8

I came across this cake recently that is done in buttercream. You would just pipe it on and smooth it.
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2056219

aubasmif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubasmif Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

MissJezabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJezabelle Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 8

I recently did a cake for a friend. She wanted a torso cake wearing a tie dye Tshirt and big peace sign necklace. I just did the Tshirt in white fondant and painted right on it with Gel color and vodka. It turned out great. I took a plate and put blobs of color on it like an artists pallet. dip brush in vodka and then color, just a tiny bit, then on some scrap fondant or paper towel i kinda rubbed of some of the "paint" then painted on the fondant on the cake. It was almost like a dry brush technique. I also blended with a tiny bit of vodka on my brush. so like if I started with yellow, then did blue, in the middle would be a green. Yellow then red, would have orange etc. It turned out nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%