Any Tips For Making Clothes For The Baby Mold?

Decorating By mommie917 Updated 25 May 2011 , 3:09am by Gerle

mommie917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommie917 Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for making clothes for curled baby mold by first impressions?? (instead of having just a naked sleeping baby or one with a diaper)

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7

I've seen a couple of these and they look really cute. Sorry to say, no tutorials or suggestions, but you could experiment. I've made two (I don't have the molds, I just made gumpaste babies in that position) that weren't dressed but had a small blanket on them - one covered up the baby's rear and the I placed the other one like it was kind of slipping off to the side, so it didn't. I thought they were fetching. Here's the one where the baby is all covered up:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1356289/1356293

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 7

I've made several. I would use fondant, not gumpaste, as it takes a little work and time to get the clothes the way you want them. And I find gumpaste dries too quickly and it starts to dry adn crack before you're done.

I roll out a sheet of fondant and basically cover the baby as if I were covering a cake with fondant. But the baby should be dry, not wet, as you want to be able to move the fondant around. I lay it gently over the baby starting at the neckline. Then I kind of work it into place, trimming as I go to fit under the bum, etc. Once it's all in place, I use my exacto knife to trim where the sleeve line should be, etc. I use the various stick tools from the wilton gumpaste tool kit to make creases where the legs and arms meet the body, etc.

It's really a matter of forming and molding it into place than it is cutting out clothes that you fit on. But of course, every one is different, depending on the outfit.

See some of the ones I've made here...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1911234/1911238

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 7

So artscallion, when are you going to make tutorials for those fabulous little babies? They are all so cute! I'd love to be able to make those little outfits! So far, I just cover with a blanket...

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 7

I'll give you a little tip I discovered for making those blankets look real. I had a block of plain white styrofoam that I was using to stick gumpaste flowers in while they dried. I accidentally knocked one onto my rolled out sheet of gumpaste and pressed on it when trying to catch it. When I lifted it off I discovered that the gumpaste looked exactly like a wooly fleece blanket!

If you look styrofoam, it's a maze of various tiny bubble shaped holes. When you press that into gumpaste, you get the reverse...a little maze of curly, puffy wooliness. You can kind of see it on the pink blanket I used on the baby that's in the crib.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:39am
post #6 of 7

Oh, for heaven's sake, artscallion, how did I ever miss these when you first posted them. How wonderful they are! I've got to get myself one of these molds (and some talent) ASAP! And thanks for the tips on how to do them!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:09am
post #7 of 7

That's a good tip for blankets. Thanks, I'm gonna give that a try. But you didn't answer my question about the tutorials..... Just kidding..kind of...because I know those tutorials take time to put together. But when the time comes to try one, you just might get a PM from me for help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%