Adding Bake Even Strips After Started Baking

Baking By myKzooKid Updated 22 May 2011 , 7:39pm by jules5000

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:46am
post #1 of 7

I realized after my 10in vanilla cake had been in the oven at 325 for 6 minutes that I had forgotten to add bake even strips. I took it out and wrapped the pan. Will my cake still bake okay?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

It should do fine.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #3 of 7

I think they should do ok. I wouldn't have tried it after 10 min. though. After the batter has started to rise, I think that it would very adversely affect it. if it was any later I would have just waited until the whole thing was out of the pan and completely cooled and put it back in the pan to level it off. Good luck

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:27am
post #4 of 7

I hope your cake turned out okay, but just thought I'd add, I'd never open my oven after 10 minutes when baking a cake. Breads such as sourdough for additional spraying yes, but cakes and pastries that depend on an even temperature, never.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:01am
post #5 of 7

I did it one time only a few minutes into the baking. It was on a more delicate batter in a 3 inch tall pan. Without the strips I would not get the quality so I did it. There was already structure starting so I knew I was doomed. After about 50 minutes, the cake deflated with about 5 more minutes to bake. I think a thicker batter may have handled it.

I am also one who never opens the oven until close to the end of baking.

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:17am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone. I lucked out and the cake did just fine. The top was a little distorted but I was planning to level off that part anyway. My cakes are now leveled & filled and I can go to sleep.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 7

What kind of cake were you baking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%