Hannah Montana 2-Tier Cake

Decorating By Sam_paggers Updated 24 May 2011 , 11:49am by Darthburn

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:20am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I am a hobby baker and have offered to make a collegues daughter a birthday cake (free of course... any excuse is a good excuse to practice!)

As I only do this as hobby and it will be free I have creative control. The only requests are for the cake to be 2-tier (6" and 8"), main colour to be pink and to include Hannah Montanna. This is a 7th Birthday.

I am really stumped for ideas, so any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Sam xx

6 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 22 May 2011 , 10:07am
post #2 of 7

Hi Sam,

I recently had a Justin Bieber cake request with the same situation... creative freedom. I finally settled on doing a 3 tier cake with black and purple. I got pictures off the internet and had Albertson's put them on an edible sheet of paper ($7 for an 8x11 sheet) and then carefully cut them out and stuck them around the cake. Added gumpaste silver music notes and stars.
The topper was a gumpaste outline of Justin doing a handstand... just a gumpaste backer with an edible picture cut and glued to it.

You could do guitars and stars and music notes. It's a simple idea, but a start.

I uploaded a picture from my phone (I'm at work) to my gallery, but if you need more I'd be happy to send some. I'll post more of it later at home.

HTH icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 7

I just did a Justin Bieber cake also but mine was not tiered its in my photos, its a bc transfer....Ive also done a HM guitar cake and I airbrushed the colors on the cake.

I did a search on yahoo:

Hanna Montana, 2 tier cakes, images

check it out, get tons of ideas and you can always change out the tiers you dont like to what you do like just change it up to what you want.

Sam_paggers Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 7

thank you so much for your help, I've checked out both your pictures and some great ideas!! Love the 'Bieber' style images on the outside of the cake. Do you apply the edible paper directly onto the cake or mount on its own sugarpaste sheet? How did you get it to stick?

I've not worked with this before and need to find out where i can get the print outs (im in the UK).

2txmedics- i would love to do a guitar as a new experiment but as 2-tier was requested i am not sure i'd be happy to do something so different, shame though becuase it works so well with the hannah montana theme!

Will show my friend both options and the few i like on google and get some input. Will post pictures when done.

Thank you again icon_smile.gif

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:39am
post #6 of 7

just wanted to update whilst i am chuckling to myself!

i've showed lots of ideas to my colleage and still been left creative input (great), I've come up with some sketches that would really work... then i am told she wants to pay for ingredients to which i will accept (i know this wrong but as it was offered I am not going to throw money away!). Anyway, i sat and worked out the cost of the ingredients and decorations for a 2 tier cake with black zebra strips on pink for the bottom and a black bow/trim. The top tier will be lilac with yellow stars and on front 'Happy Birthday xxxx', a fondant guitar on the side (a request to meet the hannah montanna theme), some flowers dotted about between tiers and a fondant '8' (found out it was an 8th birthday) on top with stars on wires splaying out.

So i worked basic cost at £30, with me providing boards, bowes and dowels. Well appreantly this is too much as Asda do a Hannah Monatanna cake for £7!! Having sat next to me over the last year talking about cake costs i am shocked she cant find £30! So now she is going to think about it and let me know tomorrow (party is saturday)! guess i will wait and see what is said but it all seems a tad ridiculous to me.... i finally know how the professionals feel when they charge hundreds/thousands for thier work and get knocked back becuase stores can do it cheaper.... well of course they can!!!!
Thanks for the vent
sam
xxx

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:49am
post #7 of 7

Let the store do it. It'll save you a friendship and you can relax to enjoy the party. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%